From:
"Mark R. Zmyewski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 20:39:46 -0600
Hello,

I am sorry that you feel the way you do about some shelters having a "no
adoption to a family with young kids" policy.  However, until you run a
shelter, you shouldn't be so critical.

We do have a case-by-case policy.  We adopted to one family who had a
10-year old boy who was one of the most responsible people I have ever
met, including some adults.  Talking to him was like talking to a
miniature adult.  However, we have had families come to visit who let
their children run amok while the ferrets are also running around.  In
some instances, I have actually feared for the ferrets' lives.  We also
watch how the parents interact with the children.  If we are not
comfortable even with that relationship, we will not adopt because a bad
parent-child relationship can eventually be bad for the ferret(s).

We adopt on a case-by-case basis.  Other shelters do not.  If you are
not happy with the shelters' policies that you visit, I'm sorry, but I
completely support their policies.

Not meaning to sound rude, but open a shelter yourself or volunteer at a
shelter and you'll soon find out that it is by no means fun and games.
There are many difficulties that shelters must endure; many more than you
might realize.

Good luck with your quest to find another fuzzy!

-Mark Zmyewski, President
 Cloud Nine Ferrets, Inc.