Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:22:45 -0800
Someone, a few days ago, asked about what kind of harnesses people used.
I too had the squirming out of the harness problem with my kids.

I have two doxies and have special harnesses for walking them, so as to
not strain their necks, like a normal collar and leash.

I looked for a long time and finally found a harness for the ferrets that
was just like the one I use for the dogs.

I'm including a link to it, so you can see what it looks like; it's sold
in pet supermarket, for sure..  and Four Paws is the only brand I've
found.

Basically it's one piece of rope-like leash material, it looks like any
other harness when it's on, around the neck, down the back and around the
pit-side of the front paws.  The thing that makes it far less easy to
squirm out of is it's totally adjustable to the ferret to a tee..there is
a little plastic adjuster that tightens and loosens it and since it is
all one piece of rope it tightens just right.  It doesn't bind them as
much either, because it's such a narrow piece of material.  Mine didn't
play the "YOU'RE KILLING ME" routing for long in this one.

You can't unhook it the way the other harnesses do, so you can't put the
thing on around their body and let them get the feel for it, then hook
the leash on later..  you just can't let them free roam, because the
leash part will get stuck somewhere.

Here's the link, by the way

http://www.petdiscounters.com/small_animal/ferret/wearables/fp_harness.html

if for some reason it doesn't work, go to petdiscounters.com and look up
ferret harnesses/leads, it's the very first one.

It takes a couple times to get used to putting it on, but it really works
quite well, and not one of mine has been able to wiggle out of it, and of
course they've tried.

Good luck,
Angela