From:
MAREE CLAPHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 13:36:42 +1200
I am posting since I had many responses to my post asking me to post again
with any information I have gained.

I was curious to see if there were many ferrets which have developed adrenal
diseases which were on a diet which did NOT include dry, formulated foods.

I got many posts which said "I feed dry foods but have not had any cases of
adrenal disease", some posts said "it cant be one thing such as diet, so why
bother suggesting it is?" or "your question and answers cant be scientific
or accurate so why bother asking?" but I DIDNT get any posts which were "yes
my ferret has adrenal disease and is not fed on dry foods".

Since I am a Research Scientist I realise no firm conclusions can be formed
from such data, and I do also realise that there is probably not a single
one cause of adrenal diseases.

The reason I ask such a question is because I find this particular "possible
cause" interesting and I want to form my own opinions as to if there is a
possible link worth researching further.  I realise there are no end of
questions which could be asked and no end of possible causes to be
investigated but if one particular area is interesting to anyone I say ask
away.

some of my thoughts reguarding dry formulated foods
* they certainly have their place, (in fact I feed Iams to my cats)

* could it be possible that such food in fact lack some micro-nutrients or
that the balance the the manufacurer decided (no doubt scientifically) is
WRONG for our ferrets?  (There is still some huge gaps in the knowledge of
the micro-nutrient requirements in humans and the way in which humans
utilise them so imagine the gaps for ferrets!!)

* could it be possible that they contain an additive which is unknowingly
harmful?

* Perhaps the fact that all the components are mixed evenly and enter the
digestive tract together somehow influence the absorption of some of the
nutrients.

* Could the fact that many ferrets have an unlimited supply of food at all
times be harmful since, as a predatory animal the normal physiology allows
for and expects short periods of hunger (Im not suggesting to starve your
ferrets).

*Could any of these factors predispose a ferret to adrenal diseases or
influence a ferret ALREADY predisposed to adrenal disease through other
means such as genetics etc.?

* Perhaps altering the diet to include all/more fresh meat(offal included)
might REDUCE the risk of adrenal disease.

I realise that big scientific trials are what is required, however
realistically these are not going to happen in the near future so perhaps
instead of sitting on out buts and waiting (im sure that dosnt apply to
everyone), our own small mini trials/ observations/ or trends might add
further ideas/ thoughts/ suggestions/ or direction to the problem of
seemingly increased risk of adrenal disease in American ferrets

Throwing thoughts around like this can only be beneficial as long as they
are not taken as anything but ideas to get you own minds ticking.  If anyone
is also interested in the associations between diet and adrenal disease or
has had problems with this disease maybe you are in a situation where you
could change your ferrets diet to fresh meat etc.  or even to half dry food,
half fresh and report on any changes you observe in the health of your
ferrets or in the prevelance of adrenal disease.  Maybe in 5 years time I
might get quite different answers to my question.

Maree and
Jaala ("gimme more, more, more rabbit, chicken, lamb and beef and dont
you dare forget some offal bits!")