Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 22:30:19 -0400
Does anyone else use ferrets to check water quality?  I drink a LOT of
water so I really get hit if it's "off", so I use ferrets the way people
used to use them to check milk because around here we sometimes have less
than perfect water after bad storms or when an old guy who has some cattle
nearby illegally uses a hydrant with an old fire hose (despite his having
received warnings from the water company and the cops about the
contaminants he introduces when he does that).  Ashling is our best one
for the chore; it pays to use one who knows her own mind and is not
inclined to just believe a human is always right.  We bottle up some water
jugs once every week or two when it's good enough for her, and then when
she rejects the tap water we use that which works out perfectly.  No fuss
and no muss thanks to great ferret sniffing.