From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1993 00:08:39 -0400
In issue 483, Georgette ([log in to unmask]) asks:

>Hi out there!! I have a couple questions about obtaining the stuff from the
>archives. Is there any way of narrowing down the subject matter??

At this point, no.  Although the file server does have capabilities to do
searches, it doesn't work for these types of digests, where the format
varies from time to time.  One day I might do something about that, but
right now, I think you're out of luck.

[Even with them all online, I have a devil of a time doing searches
myself.  Can't even rely on Subject:, because it's quite often
simply the Subject: line of a FML issue.  As far as formats go,
you'll find that the FML has been conforming to the Digest RFC
(I can never remember the number) almost since the beginning,
though some of the cosmetics have changed.]

>For instance, I am mainly interested in the tips for training/discipline and
>some of the just funny stories. If the files go from file 1 - 400 and
>something , that's ALOT of wading to do!!

It sure is.  But even if there was search capability, since keywords aren't
supplied in the postings, hypothetically you could only search the text.
Would be difficult to choose appropriate words to search for.  (Much easier
to search for specifics, like "nutrical" or "insulinoma").

Georgette, since all the files are on this machine, I'll run a search locally
for any issue containing the word "train" or "discipline" and send you the
results, just for the curiosity.

>Also, when obtaining earlier issues, do I put GET
>FERRET 1 or GET FERRET 001? Or does it actually matter?

Well, it *did* matter - you needed all 3 digits (e.g. 001), but I thought
that was stupid, so as of 10 minutes ago, leading zeros are optional.
Thanks for reminding me to do something I've been meaning to do for months.

Bill