From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1993 07:59:13 -0400
Did you know that rat poison can look like a blue powder?
Until yesterday morning, I didn't.

We decided to take a walk off our regular areas, and both
Alison and Natasja went down a hole under a tree root and
came up blue! As I saw the warning sign nearby, and couldn't
know if they'd actually eaten any of it, the first thing
I did after hurrying home and showering them was to call the
vet and Centre for Harmful Substances Information. The
latter confirmed that indeed, some poisons are blue powders.

65 min after coming up the hole, we were across town at
the vet's. She was almost fresh out of school, and didn't
feel confident handling ferrets (yet -- I hope). As we
weren't exactly sure what substance it was they'd eaten,
or even if they'd eaten anything, the worst had to be
assumed. One injection each then, plus 0.2 ml to eat
twice a day for a fortnight. At least it doesn't seem to
taste to horrible, but then again, how can you tell with
creatures who like to eat soap?

I think a better way to keep the rats off is to clean
out the garbage and/or hire a ferret/cat/dog to walk there
frequently.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]  Docendo discimus