From:
dan christen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 08:27:40 -0700
Zhivago, our red eyed white, with a penchant for pepsi did it again,
someone forgot to put the 8-pack of bottled pepsi up, and he opened
(chewed the bottoms out of 4 full bottles) !  I was wondering why the
floor was so sticky when i got home from work last night?

Would i get another ferret?  Yes, currently we have MANY living with us,
i do a lot of clean up work daily/weekly, behind them.  Free roam doesn't
always mean there is a litter box in every corner, sometimes there are
more rugs and newspapers on the floor, i have one that doesn't care about
corners, the middle of the dining room floor suites her just fine...i
always imagine the beep-beep-beep as i watch her back up...like the sounds
from some of the vehicles we hear.  I have learned, good quality toilet
paper (thank you Troy Lynn), picks up better than paper towel, it is very
absorbent, and doesn't smear like paper towel.  My husband has been very
tolerant of ferret poopies too, the cages are on my side of the bed, open
24/7 and equipped with litter boxes/food/hammocks, but his side seems to
be the toilet area for all, so i have purchased a large doggie litter
tray, the one that has the lip on the long side, and i hear them @ night,
while i am supposed to be sleeping rummaging around in the rabbit pellets
looking for just the right spot.  (of course/not everyone makes the box,
but that is where the newspapers and washable rugs come in handy) BIG LOTS
had kitchen throw rugs for $3.99 lot cheaper than Target, Shopko, etc.
The bargain stores are good to frequent sometimes.

I have lost a few wonderful ferrets myself & nearly lost one of our
original group.  (Bandit).  Theodore Edward Bear, is my stick tight to my
side, just like Odysseus had been when he was with us.  Poppy has adopted
and made my husband her own personal hooman (she gives him a 1 hour
grooming every night and morning, while we are in bed, and even curls up
beneath his arm to rest @ night ) ...

I have dealt with shelter shock, with Athena (rescued from the basement
of a coworker) who disliked ferrets...how sad, Athena had bonded with her
husband, and wife didn't allow them upstairs, so...they were kept caged
in the basement.  (i wasn't going to say, no...we have enough) Athena
was my first loss, followed by Odysseus, who came to us from the Humane
Society...my wonderful sweet Odysseus, they were followed by, Angel (who
was found dying on a front lawn while Eppy was missing) we rushed her to
the Vet Clinic, but it was too late for the little girl, so she was named
Angel, for we didn't know her given name, then Diana, and a short few
weeks ago, Felicia (complications of surgery and illness).

The loving memories shared with us by some of you, is very touching, we
all know your grief, some just handle it better than others, but i guess
it is a decision that we each have to make individually, as to whether or
not we would get another ferret.  Let go and let god would be something
that would help us, sometimes we need that break just to mourn those that
have passed through our lives, some of us are dedicating their lives to
the rescue/care for them (a name comes to mind) , but those are the
choices we all are given, being that we all have free will.  We all need
to heal, and again, here is a good place to start.  A relatively cheap
form of theraphy, but the best a ferret lover can find.  There is a lot
of abuse out there, which we will never learn of, all we can do is pray
that someone/somewhere help these animals and humans, someone be guided by
(divine?) to show compassion/understanding.  WE can all be thankful that
we have one more day, with the ferrets we share our own personal life
with, and that we have one more day.  I still think of the gentleman who
so tragically lost his ferrets, all in one sweep, to the bug bombs, ...and
wonder, what the fine print on cans/bottles and such is for...if it wasn't
important to read, it wouldn't have been placed there!  We need to learn
to respect others, and take them also into consideration before we act.

I had better get off, or i w/start off on another subject.

Lynn Siegel, thank you for the mothers day mention :-) ...you are a
wonderful ferret mommy, and happy mothers day to you, and Benita, julie,
Troy Lynn, Kim, Stephanie, Pat, those of us with few or many, Jackie,
hope things get settled for you soon, in your move.  I cannot name you
all, because i would take up too much space again...but it is a day of
celebration only we can understand.  Unfortunately for those non animal
lovers out there , tooo bad.

Regards
donna & her 40? thieves????