From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 23:06:42 -0500
Harnesses:
Cheaper harnesses can be made from nylon kitten figure-8 harnesses
(available from almost any pet store).  Even the smallest harness is
almost always to big so you'll want to size it down (we do this by
heating the end of a metal coat hanger and melting through the nylon
at the right spot).  Be sure to make your harness tight enough...we
adjust ours by strapping the ferret in (but not doing the buckle yet)
and letting them gently dangle from the spare harness end (this seems
extreme but our little escape weasels can get out of any harness not
adjusted this way/tight...several times we've ended up walking an
empty leash and harness with our weasel skittering in the bushes
nearby).

Burials:
I've taken to burying our pets under rose bushes.  It started with
our cat, Iwipoo (she used to like to sniff flowers while I was
gardening).  I buried her in our yard and planted a pink rose bush
(the kind that has a million little flowers) there.  The when Frances
(our first ferret) died, her grave was marked by red rose bush (the
kind that makes only one or two perfect blossoms a year).  I like the
idea of them becoming the rose, which I can then take inside and
enjoy, year after year.