From:
Jana Rickel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 03:07:29 -0800
>From: Jen B <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Seeking info on MERIAL (purevax) vaccine for ferrets
>Has anyone ever heard of or had their ferret doctor use the MERIAL
>canine distemper vaccine?...
>
>Anyway, THIS IS WHAT SHOCKED ME ABOUT THE REST OF MY CONVERSATION WITH
>THE VET TECH:
>I told her that I am a regular customer to her office and that I have two
>FERRETS who were needing CANINE DISTEMPER shots (that was all very clear,
>so I thought).  Then I asked her if they use either the Fervac or
>Galaxy-D in additional to this "Merial" brand one and she said they only
>use MERIAL for their CD shots. (brief silence while I mentally gathered
>the vacine info. I had stored in my head) and that's when the Tech
>quickly assured me it was a regularly used vaccine BUT THEN SHE CORRECTED
>ME AND SAID THAT THE FERVAC WAS A RABIES SHOT and was ADAMANT about it!

From the "Ferrets First" website at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/vaccinationprotocol.html:
"Update 10/25/01: Purevax, the new ferret distemper vaccine from
Merial is now available.  Although it is more expensive than
Fervac-D, the frequency of reactions is dramatically less."

More info at:
http://www.ferret-fact.org/VacDist.htm
#PUREVAX%99%20Ferret%20Distemper%20Vaccine

You can also check the Merial website:
http://us.merial.com/merial_corporate\news\press_releases\
Oct_9_2001_PUREVAX_Ferret_Distemper_Vaccine.asp

Did the person you talked to really say she was a licensed veterinary
technician?  Often the person answering the phone at a vet's office is
a receptionist or veterinary assistant at best.  The person answering
the phone shouldn't be giving out wrong information, but it's the
veterinarian's knowledge that you should be most concerned about.

Jana