From:
Cat Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:02:08 -0500
I must say I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the care being given to the
ferrets at the West Little Rock, AR PetCo.  I had a complaint from
someone saying their "cage" which is actually a bin, was severely
over-crowded - housing 12 ferrets.  I went to the store the next morning
and counted 12 in one bin, 2 water bottles and 1 hammock.  This is NOT
proper ferret (or any animal for that matter) care.  I tried speaking
with the manager regarding this and it not so many words he stated that
he felt the conditions were fine, but he would "try to get around to
possibly moving them" into two separate bins.  I am sorry, but the
animals' well being is way more important than where the dog food
is to be placed (which is what he was working on at the time of our
conversation).  I asked how many were there before "their shipment" this
past Thursday and he said 8.  I am sorry, but 8 is still WAY TOO MANY!
If PetCo is going to sell these animals they need to be properly taken
care of.

I had to do the same thing with the local PetsMart not too long ago
because they were over-crowding guinea pigs, and they took care of it
right then.

This is the message I received from PetCo and believe me, I am going to
make sure they follow through.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your concerns about the ferrets at
the Little Rock location.  It is obvious from your comments that animal
welfare is important to you, and it is for us at PETCO as well.  I am
forwarding this information to the District Manager for the Little Rock
store as well as to our Regional Companion Animal Coordinator so they
can look in to the situation there.  I will also ask the District Manager
to call you to address your concerns directly.

Again thank you for bringing this to our attention, so we can make sure
that the animals at this location are being cared for appropriately and
according to PETCO's standards.

Everyone, please remember if you see abuse/neglect or non-proper
treatment, tell someone.  The animals can't speak for themselves and
someone else may not take a stand (just like the person who told me
about it).  I think we all want what is best for all animals that are
being sold in pet stores.

Heather/Cat