Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:59:32 -0400
I don't often respond to the posts on the FML....but this one hit real
close to home!

I am one of 5 children born to deaf parents.  My mother and father thru
different circumstances are both deaf as well as 2 uncles and 1 aunt.
NONE of us has any hearing problems.  It always amazed me that my mother
couldn't hear but knew if we were doing something that we shouldn't.  But
medical studies have shown that when one sense is gone/missing the rest
are even stronger.

Animals compensate, as do humans to over come there lack of hearing.  And
never have I thought that deafness in a disability or a handicap.  If fact
I am extremely offended that those words are used to describe deafness.

Of course, with a deaf ferret, it would scare you if you were unable to
find them if missing.  But have you thought of how keen their sense of
smell is?  We have a older guy who likes to play games with us when it is
time to go up in the cage....so when he hides under the sofa and won't
come out with he squeak toy...I get the tube of Ferretvite and and wave it
across the front of the sofa.  Trust me, he comes out!  If they can teach
chimps sign language, imagine what ferrets can learn!

Linda & the 10 wonders of our world