From:
"Janet B. Dill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 22:24:12 EDT
I just talked to our vet's office today.  They are very ferret friendly.
the Vet assistant owns three.  I have our two dogs on the new flea pill
*Program* so far it is working great-no fleas at all that we can see.  The
liquid form for cats is due in any moment accorking to them.  We have one
cat who is still suffering with fleas and two ferrets and one yearold and
our new 7 week old.  I asked their opionion on giving this to our ferrets.
The assistant has used it on all three of hers and had no side effects and
they went to a conference abut it and said that ferrets could have it but
thy need to be dosed like cats not dogs.  Dogs need 10 mg/ lb.  and cats
and ferrets should get 30 mg./lb.  My next appointment with the vet is in
3 weeks for the new babies 9 week shots.  They said if I brought them both
in they could weigh them so that the correct dosage would be given and
they felt it was safe for our new kit as long as it was dosed according to
her weight.  On a less tecnical note the two are getting along great.  I
came home and they were snuggled up side by side inside a fake fur tube I
had made.  They are playing lots too.  I just hope Maggies our English
Cocker isn't too jealous as she was the former playmate, but just couldn't
keep up with Nicky's energy level.  Still no name picked out for our new
little one.  LOts of discussion- Again do you think it's ok for me to give
the ferrets the new flea medicine?  We had a terrible fleas problem last
summer with the 2 dogs and 1 cat and we didn't even have any ferrets then.
Do you think Iams kitten food is enough nutrition for the baby, it's what
our adult ferret likes.  I also give them ferretone.
Thanks
The Dills,