From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:54:03 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=9828&startid=9832

The spay surgery for ferrets is very similar to a cat spay except the
ferret will have more abdominal fat, the tract is smaller, and smaller
suture size is needed (3-0 to 4-0).  The neuter surgery is very similar
to neutering a small dog, again using smaller suture material and skin
glue for the skin.

The anesthesia part may be different, as we typically use just gas (Sevo
or Iso) to mask them down and maintain them on just gas.  In the younger
ones injectables may be safe enough to use, but I would still go with
just gas.

The good news, this intact bunch should be adrenal disease free!

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM

[ Sukie comment -- Congratulations to the ferret people in GA for their
work on getting this school to put these ferrets in shelters where they
will then come up for adoptions.  All over there are people who have
achieved this with medical schools, intubation training programs, vet
schools, pharmaceutical companies, breeders who have retired breeders or
impossible to sell "stock".  They aren't as many ferrets as are
surrendered by others who bought them for pets but it does save ferrets.
Great work!]