From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 1995 11:05:38 -0400
To Michelle Tonkinson -

        The compuserve address you gave on your last post failed, so I am
sending this through the FML. - Mason

[Moderator's note: Normally I'd forward it myself, but it's of general
interest I suppose.  BIG]

 Dear Michelle -

    I imagine you will get lots of responses saying different things, but
thought I would throw my 2 cents in.  I just finished introducing Slinky,
my 1.75 year old neutered male, to Pogo, a 7-week old neutered male.  To
say the into was stressful would be an understatement.  Slinky spent all
of his time trying to attack Pogo, who was terrified of the older male.
Whenever Slink did get at Pogo, there were hard bites, lots of screaming,
etc.  Pogo would always poop as soon as Slinky got him, and would be
shaking for minutes after I pulled them apart.  The FAQ says (and rightly
so) shaking can be a sign of being scared - I know it was for Pogo.

    My guess is that Mitzi, being an older and full grown ferret, is a
better fighter than Tara.  Also, Mitzi has been around other ferrets a
lot, since she was in a shelter, while Tara has been alone for the past
six weeks.  To make it worse, the new styranger has come into Tara's
comfortable house and can beat her!  Imagine if you were to come home to
find a new person making herself at home in your place, beating you up,
and there was nothing you could do - you might shake too!

    However, there is hope.  I would suggest that you keep them separated
for a while - give them different play times, or different parts of the
house that the other can't get too.  Make sure you spend plenty of time
with each (my personal life went on hold for about five weeks while this
was going on - it is very time consuming).  Let them see and sniff each
other occasionally.  Alternate the bedding in each cage every few days, so
they get used to each other's smell, and put their cages right next to
each other.  If you can, let them see each other through a very slightly
opened doorway neither can get through, so they can mouth at each other.
Make sure ach gets plenty of love and attention.  As often as you can
stand it, try to let them get together briefly, then separate them as soon
as biting gets bad.  Then immediately pick up Tara and comfort her, and
let her play with you without Mitzi for a while.

    I did this with Pogo and Slinky, and it worked.  As Pogo grew (he's
now 12 weeks old and bigger than Slink) he got more confident, stopped
running, and the two now seek each other out to play all the time.  Just
like you, I was sure that I had made a mistake, but when they work it out,
you will be glad you did.

   Please keep me up with how they are doing, and I'll be glad to try to
help in any way I can.  Good luck with them!

 Best - Mason, Slinky, and Pogo