From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 11:56:54 -0400
Jennifer Ellis wrote:
>We have yet to see an early adrenal tumor in an otherwise healthy and
>well-cared-for ferret.  Actually, most of the age-related adrenal cases
>we've seen have also been ferrets in neglectful homes, though not all of
>them.

I really must take very strong exception to this, and I am having to
control my language.  I pretty much take this as a personal affront.  Why?
We have had two early adrenals in our business, and I think there are a
number of people in Triangle Ferret Lovers (TriFL) who will gladly speak
about how we take care of our ferrets.

To summarize: they typically get at least four hours of play time during
the week, and basically free roam on weekends.  We spend lots of time
playing with them (as in usually at least four hours a day), and they get
lots of exercise.  We live in a large (almost 1,800 sq ft) townhome with a
huge living room/den (where the ferrets live), so they have plenty of run
space.  We give them natural lighting, though they do have dark places to
sleep.  When the weather is good they also can get outside walks/runs on a
leash/harness, which they really enjoy.

Our ferrets eat Totally Ferret, sometimes mixed with another premium ferret
food, and that is supplemented with Bob Church's Chicken Gravy.  We keep
the TF in a "Vittles Vault" airtight container to keep it fresh.  Ferret
Linatone is used as a treat and to keep their coats healthy, and other
commercial ferret treats are given in very limited quantities to reward
good behavior.

We make sure someone is home to play with the ferrets each and every day of
our lives, or else the ferrets travel with us.  We have never even used a
ferret sitter, though there are several in the local club we trust.  Our
ferrets see one of the best known ferret vets in the country, and several
have *never* been to the vet except for regular checkups and vaccinations.

Tell me, does this sound like neglect?

Despite this, Kerr Avon (a/k/a Mr. Cuddle Weasel) had adrenal surgery
before his second birthday back in February.  He has fully recovered, has a
beautiful and soft coat, and is very happy and healthy, and very attached
to us.  Pertwee, my nutty deaf albino boy, had two adrenal surgeries before
his second birthday (April and June) and has had ongoing health problems
for almost a year.  Despite this, thanks to the wonderful vets in this
area, we have been able to maintain his quality of life.  The cost of all
this?  $3,000 this year *so far* and counting.

Tell me, does this sound like neglect?

Please, avoid the gross generalizations and rather harsh judgementalism in
the future, OK?  Just because *you* haven't seen early adrenals in good,
loving homes where the ferrets are treated like little kings and queens,
doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  We spare no expense with out little guys,
absolutely love them, and make them central in our lives.

Regards,
Caity, Keith, and the exuberant eight

--
Caitlyn Maire Martin