From:
Melissa Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:55:00 -0500
>I would like to have lithographs done and would like to know if anyone
>would know how to go about having lithos made.

If you were given this painting, be sure you contact the artist for
permission to create lithographs, especially if you're planning on
selling them.  Even if this was a special commision, artists still 'own'
the painting unless another deal was made, as far as reporduction rights
are concerned.  In fact, many of my artist friends, and myself, get most
of our money off of prints of art we have done, rather than the originals
themselves.  If this was a gift from someone else, they may have even
signed something saying that the artist keeps the reproduction rights.
Either way, contacting the artist first can save many bad feelings and
even legal trouble later.

As for making lithographs, why are you interested in this specific form
of print?  These days, computer printing and papers are sufficently
advanced to the point that for a more common size, I'd advise you to
do that instead.  Lithography requires a complex process of colour
seperation to produce the result and would require a restrictive set up
fee for the average person.  I myself use a 11 by 17 capable industrial
computer printer to produce smaller prints of my work because I can't
justify the cost of a lithograph for the small run I generally do (<50).
Lithography will allow for that unusual size, as it's cut down after
it's printed.  (Actually, there are standards for that too, but you'll
have to forgive me if I can't think of them off of the top of my head)
but generally lithography runs are in the hundreds, if not thousands or
more.  Most larger print shops should currently provide lithography
services, as it's a very common print method.  If you live in a large
town or city, just look up "Printers" in the Yellow Pages and go from
there.

Hope this helps

Melissa Smith (nee Drake)
http://www.blueskunkland.com/ferret (Home of the Wooze Crew)