From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:47:09 -0700
Dog rundown (on my experience from being a vet tech, nothing else, so
it's entirely my own opinion).

A lot of it is simple. Don't get a terrier of any sort. I realize some
people have them and they make it work, but even my mom's terrier had
nature overtake him after a few years, and he finally bit her rabbit
(free roam). Terriers have the nature in them to go after "prey" so
avoid this. Just like a cat might be fine watching a mouse for a few
hours, it may suddenly grab it when the urge gets too much or the mouse
makes a run for it. It's just instinct.

I know it may not work for you, but pugs are often great with ferrets.
Really, really great.

Other than that - if you are looking for big dogs, some people might
tell me to go hide in a hole after I say this, but I've seen ferrets
get along great with pits. I guess pits are more medium dogs.

Labs are okay too. Make sure if you get one, find a proper breeder.
A lab is very smart, though - and sometimes they end up with
golden-retriever like neuroses, like carrying around their "baby"
(usually socks, underwear, etc)...I've seen one that thought this
should be a ferret. After all, they labs are made for carrying
birds/prey back to owners. Dobies are good eggs, too, with small
animals. Oh, and boxers! Don't forget boxers. These guys are probably
up there with pugs. But the endless drool.... ;) Rotties I wouldn't go
with. They're so big, and sometimes can be jumpy, surprised easily (no
doubt a plus on their part, bred as watchdogs). Dobies are less apt to
be "nervous" and thing things through much more than a rottie usually
does.

In any case - no matter what kind you get - make sure you get him
young, let him grow up with fuzzies underfoot, and you should be good.

Laryssa