From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 06:50:53 -0500
To Sean:
I think you need a different style harness.  The type you're using is
very easy for a ferret to weasel out of :)  I probably wouldn't use a
50' rope either.

'H' harnesses seem to work best - I haven't had a ferret wiggle out of
one of those yet, although the world is still young.  It is a better made
harness and fits more securely than a figure 8 harness - which I believe
is the "string" type you may be using now.

This is just my opinion, but I think you could be asking for problems
with the 50' rope.  Fifty feet is a long way for a little ferret - there
could burrow holes belonging to other animals that just about any ferret
could explore - if you're busy reading, your ferret could become tangled
in the bushes and work themselves out their harness (as happened to you!)
and be gone!  There could be squirrels or chipmunks or such in a park
that might cause problems.  Another aspect is that of loose  dogs -
problems can happen quickly - if a loose dog were to come ambling along -
or even thru the bushes your ferret might be playing in, you run the
risk of a dog attack - by the time you get to your ferret, he could be
seriously hurt or possibly dead - extreme, I know, but possible.

Whenever I've taken my ferrets to parks or picnics, I ALWAYS bring a
carrier with food, water, a hammie, and litter pan, in addition to a
good harness and leash.  If I'm walking my ferret around, I concentrate
on the ferret.

There are devices you can use if you want to read and let your ferret
play - there are collapsable playpen type structures now that will contain
your ferret but allow him to play - of course in a park, remember to keep
it in the shade.  Or bring someone with you who can walk your ferret on
the leash while you read.

Oh - another ferret for company is certainly not a bad idea! (But 2 ferrets
on a 50' rope IS a bad one!!)

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY