From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 17:43:16 -0400
Ferrets do grow very strong attachments to other ferrets and to humans too.
Whenever we get a pair in the shelter they always go out as pairs.  It is
very pathetic to watch two "bonded" ferrets after seperation, even if it's
only overnight.  The one left will search and search for the other before
going off in a corner to sleep.  They grow lethargic.  Some will even get
to the point where they will literally starve themselves to death.

Adrenal surgery.  If it is an adrenal tumor I would have it removed.  The
ferrets we've had with the adrenal tumors have had a relatively poor
quality of life; dry itchy skin, loss of muscle mass.  Once removed the
ferret quickly recovers.  We've probably had 5-6 done in the past year.
Only one has not worked out and that turned out to be a bilatteraly adrenal
problem.  Three years of age is not too old.

Dick B.