From:
Jennifer Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:16:10 -0700
Sharon,

I saw today that you did get the classroom pet ferrets, so I re-wrote
my message below somewhat, removing the sections advising you not to
do it... Also, I agree with everything written by fellow teacher and
ferret owner Jessica Melchior and others in recent FMLs.  Pay particular
attention to ferret proofing, and please beware that one mis-placed foot,
toy, or piece of furniture can mean death or serious harm to a ferret.
Kudos on getting them several hours of playtime per day; this should
preferably happen during numerous events/times per day.

I have had ferrets for over 17 years, and for ~3 years I was
teacher.  Our only classroom pets were fish.  I used to bring my two
most-socialized (hee hee) ferrets into the classroom about once a month,
and the children loved them.  We also brought in bunnies, snakes, dogs,
cats, insects, and rodents (all on different days of course).  We
notified all the parents in writing at the beginning of the year that
animals would be brought into the classroom, and we fielded any parents
questions before bringing in critters.  The school where I worked was a
private school, and we had and excellent child-teacher ratio (2 teachers
to ~25 kids!), so all critter visits were relatively well supervised.
Despite the fact that all the children had been taught and repeatedly
reminded how to properly hold animals, during a ferret visit a
rambunctious girl intentionally squeezed one of my ferrets bellies!  In
response to the girls "abuse," my carpet sharks BIT AND BROKE HER SKIN
before I could intervene.  Anyone who has seen ferrets respond to pain
this way knows that their reaction is instantaneous.  Your intervention
must be instantaneous as well, and you MUST know how to properly PRY the
ferrets jaws apart to release the hold before further damage is done to
the ferret due to the child trying to get the ferrets to let go!!!  I
know that this child didn't mean to harm the ferret and luckily she
didn't; the child was just curious about what would really happen if she
broke the "rules" (that was her nature).  Luckily, the girl's parents
were VERY understanding (I called them immediately), as the child was
known to have "tested" their family dog as well.  Note: this was a VERY
well socialized adult ferret who had NEVER bit anyone.  Also, the child
was usually very sweet as well, just a little extra-daring and curious.
Even though _I_ knew the child was this way, with a different parent
this could have been a VERY ugly situation involving animal control,
school's insurance company, board of health (?), and the security of my
employment!  Watch out for those children who need to push/test the
rules, as the pets, the child, the school, and/or your employment could
be put in jeopardy.  I have also witnessed a ferret bite a child who
stepped on the ferret, although not in my classroom.

Writing about this also makes me think about the biting behavior of
kits--baby ferrets bite.  Gentle, patient, CONSISTENT reprimands are
required to successfully train the kits not to do this.  I don't see this
as possible in a classroom setting, and you are going to have to train
ALL your student to gently correct any ferret "play" bites.  There are
many methods, and I do not recommend the "bop on the head" as the
preferred or universally applicable method!  Write me in person if need
to discuss this.

All this said, I think that the kids in my classroom benefited greatly
from the animal experiences and knowledge they gained through the meeting
of numerous species of animal.  By the way, as you currently have ferrets
living in your classroom, any "prey" animals visiting your classroom
might not like the predator-smell in the room and therefore could behave
poorly, so watch out as long as you have ferrets living in the room.

Did the lady from the "pet education center" warn you that ferrets can
live ~5-10 years and they are VERY prone to numerous diseases, many of
which are treatable with ferret-experienced vet care and considerable
expense?

Anyway, best of luck, and if you indeed bail out of this situation PLEASE
be sure to contact a local ferrets shelter for advice on finding a
different home for them _prior_ to returning the animals to the "pet
education center."  Also, let the FML know what city you are in, as
there could be a reader/shelter currently reading the FML who may be
able to help you!

Jennifer Becker