From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 14:08:22 -0400
>I took my bandit to the hospital this am for he was having severe
>vomiting, he woke from his nap after his morning play I did not see if he
>ate anything or not but must have right.  he brought nothing up the 4
>times he did it..  so i rushed him over the vet check him out and yes
>he's still eating and drinking and checked his stools all seems to be ok..
>advice was watch him and call us..  so that's what were doing ( or should
>i get a second opinon?  ) but i was reading the notes on Gastritis, Acute
>and came across salmon disease only in the pacific northwest and that's
>where i live so can someone tell me what it is and cause ect?  or send me
>to a web site that has information on it..

XXXX, save yourself some time.  Salmon poisoning is a disease of dogs who
eat salmon and pick up a fluke called Nanophytus salmincola.  This parasite
attaches to the lining of the intestine, resulting in enteritis.  Actually,
the worse disease results from a parasite which the fluke carries, which
results in the fatal disease of salmon poisoning, as it infects a wide
range of white blood cells and the central nervous system.

While possible, this ferret would have to have eaten raw fresh salmon
in order for this disease to even start.  If this is a possibility,
tetracycline is the drug of choice.

I think in this case, I would look at the more likely causes of vomiting
in ferrets.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at