From:
Debi Rodvelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 21:28:23 -0600
I have an artificial tree at my house that has 6 levels of "branches" to
it.  I don't use the bottom layer and that makes the limbs too high for
my sharks to reach, try as they might.  The lights are then, naturally,
too high for them to reach also.  I only plug the lights in when I am
supervising them, so there is no chance of cord-snacking and a little BUZZ.
I have to keep the presents in another room on a high table for display
only until it is time to unwrap them or they will be unwrapped very early
in the season!

My parents always keep a live tree from their yard for Christmas and when I
visit them, we make a little circle of chicken wire to bend around the tree
holder.  Viola!  No drinks out of the tree water.

I have also made concessions with my ornaments.  No more candy canes,
homemade gingerbread cookie stars, and no glass balls.  My first ferret
year I had those lovely little shiny silver balls and the bottom branches
on the tree.  My one little mountain goat climbed every branch of the tree
and knocked all of the ornaments off so she could push them around with her
nose.  I didn't realize how easily they shattered!  It's just like a pile
of broken glass.  So no more.  Now most ornaments are plastic or bows tied
on the ends of branches.  Also I only use string or bread ties to attach
things so there aren't any little sharp pieces of wire on the floor in
case one of the cats knocks an ornament off.

Hope my ideas help those of you who are having your first ferret Christmas
tree experiences!

Debi