From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:07:03 +0800
>From:    "S.HEWETT" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Early Alters in Australia
>Anon, I'm sorry you were appalled at our recommendations re spaying in
>Australia.

It was not the pro-spaying I was upset with - it was the fact that it took
so long to come forth!

>You firstly need to understand that this is a very different country when
>it comes to ferrets.  We do not get babies already neutered from a pet
>shop.  In fact ferrets are seldom available from pet shops, and youngsters
>come mainly from the breeder at 12 weeks of age and are entire.

This is good they are not altered too young, however, do those breeders
feel comfortable that the owners of their kits are possibly going to be
bred irresponsibility?  Or allowed to remain in estrus and die?

>Secondly, our Ferret Society is relatively small (about 300 members and
>their families), very close-knit and sharing of knowledge and experiences,
>so with regular newsletters, meetings, immunization days, races, shows and
>Picnic in the Park days, the most current information is readily available
>to the members all the time.

And I have heard of ferrets in papers for sale in Australia for $30 at 6 or
7 weeks old.  Are the buyers of those ferrets being informed about their
new pets?  Are the people buying these ferrets involved in the club?  Would
the average person know about the health concerns of jills?

From what has been posted on this list - and the amount of new responses
from Australian people - ferrets are becoming more and more popular as
pets.  I have read in some Australian newsletters (not from your particular
club) that they thought that aplastic anemia thing was not anything to be
concerned about - basically that it was all hype and did not happen.  To
me, that is a scarey thing.

>Spaying a female when she is 6 months old is major surgery and not to be
>taken lightly.

No - it should not be taken lightly - however, it should be done if the
ferret is NOT being used for breeding.  The biggest reason should be the
aplastic anemia situation - not ovarian tumors (not that they are not a
good reason as well).  And hobs can get testicular cancer as well, if not
neutered.  Do you advise this as well?

>Having a jill brought out of season by a vas.hob was always considered
>the safer method, and, if timed correctly, is not an unpleasant
>experience for her.

Key words - if timed correctly.  So what if the v-hob doesn't do his job
or the jill's owner does not have it timed correctly?  What if the jill's
white blood count suffers for that?  What if her health suffers for that?

>it would be unfair to judge the whole of Australia for these views.

I am not saying that you are doing it all wrong.  I think it is excellent
to let the ferrets grow to their potentials.  It just concerns me that
while ferrets are becoming more and more popular as pets (and not just
workers), that the main reason for spaying is not the more painful and
rarely treatable condition of estrus induced anemia.  I know of people that
have seen a jill go through this AND ovarian tumors and the tumors were
much easier to treat and deal with than the anemia.

>From:    JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: the way thngs are
>The main reason for spaying is because there are just too many
>irresponsible people out there.

BINGO!  My point exactly!  Irresponsible people that are not informed are
a double disaster.

>Using a v hob is perhaps the safest and best way to take a jill out of
>season.

I disagree - that is unless you are a breeder and the jill will be used
for breeding.  If the ferret will be a pet - the best way is to have her
spayed.

>There is no unusual stress on a jill with a false pregnancy or the use of
>a v hob.

Breeding - with a whole hob or a v hob - can cause abrasions from the hob's
grip on her scruff.  She can be dragged around and have her head banged
into the sides of the cage.  And after that abuse, she may have to go
through it again in 6 weeks.  That sounds pretty stressful to me.  I would
rather spay my ferret than have her go through that.

False pregnancies DO cause stress.  Haven't you read people talking of
ferrets mothering other ferrets, panicking when their stuffed animal "kits"
are taken by the other ferrets or when their adult live ferret "kits" are
not co-operating.  That sounds stressful to me.  Her diet should also be
altered as her body prepares for a litter.  Her hormones go out of whack,
her attitude changes - possibly forever.  Sounds stressful to me.

If the ferret is going to be a pet - then there is no reason she should not
be spayed.  It is just that simple.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Australia
>If "OWNERS" resisted spaying that is NOT the fault of vets and does not
>make the vets unable to study changes in adrenal rates and pattern
>associated with that.  Such a study would need to be conducted by a
>competent professional.

This is true - however, I am concerned that the vets have not recommended
spaying to their patients' owners.