From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 16:22:19 -0500
I'm a wee bit late posting on this matter, but I wanted to say thank you
to those wonderful Symposium attendees who made me feel so comfortable
and welcome.  It was greatly appreciated, as I'm sort of shy in large
crowds.  I embarrass easily (unless I've been drinking...).  People ask
me at events why I hide my nametag or, in the case of the Symposium,
fold it over to hide my last name.  Bob gives me a hard time about this,
but I tell him (and anyone who listens) that I'm just not the show-off
and grandstander that he is.  Honestly, the reasons are simple.  First,
as I already said, I'm shy and self-conscious....unless I've been
drinking (gotta stress that point).  Secondly, I don't want people to act
differently towards me because of my last name.  It's a joy to interact
with people when they're truly being themselves.  It also makes me feel
more comfortable.  As soon some people realize who I am, they act
differently towards me.  I interacted with Dr. Kawasaki all weekend
(hehehe), and he didn't realize who I was until late Saturday night.
That's great fun.  Third, in terms of the ferret community, *I* am one
of *your* biggest fans, as it should be.  You teach me more than I could
ever teach you, and some of you have my deepest respect and admiration
(except for Bob C).

I had an awesome time with some of you.  Randy B.  stole my heart!  I
couldn't have thought of a better person to receive the achievement
award.  She's so kewl.  I also got to meet and interact with some of
the most awesome and respected vets in the ferret community: Dr. K,
Dr. Purcell, Dr. Williams, Dr. Murray, and several others, not to mention
my idol and heartthrob Dr. Fitz (Renee, I WANT my picture!!).  All of
these wonderful people have agreed to help me with the medical sections
of the in-progress 2nd edition of FFD.  That in itself was worth the
trip.  Black-Footed ferret guy Travis was also spectacular.  If you're
on the FML, you'll be hearing from me soon.  And my dear friend Lisa just
didn't get enough attention, so she went and broke her leg.  I wasn't
serious when I told her to break a leg before her presentation.  It's
amazing what lengths some people will go to.....

It was also great seeing BIG, Renee, Alicia, Scarlett, Lynn, Chris,
Frances, Barb, Norine, Donna, and Julie Fossa - and many more of you.
Of course, Bob C is a given ;-)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.........if anyone has pictures from that weekend,
please forward them to me.  I was too lazy to break out my digital.  My
loss.

I hope to make it to the 2006 Symposium :-)

Kim Schilling