From:
Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1993 13:23:11 -0400
        The following are additional facts that we have uncovered when audit-
        ing the shelter records after Ms. Van Dahm's departure.

1.      Although it is expressly against the law to own ferrets in "ferret
free zones" (such as Michigan) we have documentation in Ms. Van Dahm's own
handwriting that she returned 5 ferrets to their owners in Michigan after they
had been removed from that state and transported to our shelter. We also found
that she had adopted two other ferrets to persons in Michigan. This is not on-
ly illegal, but a violation of the trust given the GCFA by the Michigan
Department of Natural Resources when they turn over ferrets to our shelter for
adoption outside of Michigan because they had to be removed from their state.
Whether we believe in the fairness of the law, it is not our decision to make
to break it.

2.      We have found incoming give-up forms on over 50 ferrets that came into
the shelter that have no documentation as to their disposition (i.e. euthan-
asia, adoption, foster home, given away, etc.) This number does not include
several ferrets that were known to be adopted by other GCFA members without
adoption forms being filled out or filed. It is the Shelter Director's duty
to see that all incoming and outgoing animals are properly documented. Even
if Ms. Van Dahm adopted all these animals herself, the proper adoption docu-
mentation should have been filed. Since 4/93, activities of all incoming and
outgoing ferrets have been properly documented  regardless of their disposi-
tion.
        In conclusion, we would ask that Ms. Van Dahm stop her campaign of
gossip and untruths against the GCFA, the shelter and the Board of Directors.
Her statements cause damage to all of the membership by preventing people
from seeking adoptions at the shelter because of mistrust, by preventing
people from participating in the GCFA and GCFA functions that raise money for
ferret welfare, and by attempting to make a mockery of us as a club. When she
attempts to tarnish the reputation of the club she ultimately tarnishes the
reputation of each and every member. Ms. Van Dahm may have had personal dif-
ferences with members of the club, but that is not a reason for her to twist
the truth to cause damage to the good work done by so many. It is Ms. Van
Dahm's choice whether or not she is a member of a club or whether she even
wants to start her own shelter. But it is not fair for her to discredit the
GCFA in an apparent attempt to increase her own business.

        Ms. Van Dahm, we ask that you concentrate on fair business principles
and cease and  desist the slanderous comments mad against the GCFA and the
good people therein.

In all sincerity,

Norm Stilson, President
James Tomasi, Vice President
Janice Miller, Secretary
Judy Martin, Treasurer
Susan Brown D.V.M., Director
Mary Jane Frank, Director
Arnieta Kurtz, Director
Roger McMillian, Director
Nicki Prunkl, Director
As an addendum to the previous open letter, I would like to report that Ms.
Van Dahm has recently called the corporate offices of PetCare Superstores
(where I work) and requested that they remove all GCFA related literature
from their stores. Ms. Van Dahm stated that if this was not done, she would
boycott and picket PetCare stores. A copy of this article went to PetCare
corporate offices and they had been kept appraised of the situation...
A cease and desist order against  Ms. Van Dahm is being strongly contem-
plated by the GCFA Board of Directors if she persists in this unprofessional
and unethical behavior.

Rog