From:
kris S Mewtom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:21:34 -0500
Good Morning FML'ers,

First of all - Big, I hope this post isn't too long, and is able to be
posted. [Hi Kris.  I wouldn't see it if the server rejected it.  BIG]

My name is Kris S Mewton and I've been doing the Shelter Giving Tree
for the last three years, ever since the originator of the Giving Tree
had to stop due to personal reasons. I asked her if I could take over
and do the Giving Tree. She said she was wondering what would happen
to the Tree and thanked me for caring and taking over.

My thought (being a shelter myself and seeing the Tree for the first
time), was "What a great concept, one time out of the entire year,
we can give thanks to the shelters and help give the babies in the
shelter's something special for Christmas!"

So my wife (Mary) and I signed up to be a Secret Santa for a few
babies. We also put some of our own rescues up on the tree. God, just
the thought of giving was enough for us. Needless to say - when we sent
our gifts to the shelters, we never put our addy - address or names on
the box's because we where SECRET SANTA'S.

We never wanted recognition for the Gifts, nor did we want the babies
to know who we were because we are Santa, and that's the way we wanted
it to be. We weren't hurt because we didn't get a thank you from the
shelters. We were grateful that we could send a little happiness to a
shelter and give the ferrets a little something.

Then we started receiving our own gifts that were sent to our kids on
the tree. One of our special babies, Geezer, was up on the tree that
year, and you would not believe the responses and gifts we received for
him. We became very close to many ferret lovers at that time, but the
most important one was with Kat & Tom Parsons!!! They have became a
part of our family ever since that day..I can still remember the first
time I spoke with them on the phone and remember the first day we ever
met.

I also remember all The Secret Santa's and gifts that were send to our
home. Every day a new package would arrive, and every day Mary & I
would have tears in our eyes. We couldn't believe there where sooo
many wonderful and caring people out there.

Now -- the real reason of this post:

I've been sitting back and reading the post's since the Giving Tree was
finished - and ALL the babies received so called Secret Santa's. I have
responded to at least 100 e-mails since the closing date of the tree.
To tell you the truth -- I'm quite disappointed in a lot of different
points.

I enjoy (and have always enjoyed) doing the Giving Tree!! Just the
thought of all those Babies getting a Special gift from someone
anonymous for Christmas. I've never, nor do I now want thanks for
what I've been doing. But this year has gotten way out of hand. (By
the way - I've received over 300 e-mails on these subjects alone)

1.) How do you know they are shelters ??

2.) Are they a 501c3 shelter ??

3.) Are they a Breeder / Shelter ??

These are only 3 questions, and generated over 100 e-mails.

Then it comes to the Secret Santa's Question's

1.) Who are my babies Santa's ??

2.) What are their e-mail addy's /phone numbers ??

These are only 2 questions, and generated over 87 e-mails

Then from the Secret Santa's - Their Question's

1.) I picked a ferret at the beginning and can't find the information
on the shelter

2.) I can't remember the ferrets I picked

These are only 2 questions, and generated over 111 e-mails

And so on ************  Many, many more

I really don't have the means nor the time to verify each and every
request that comes into the Giving Tree. Most Shelters I Know, some I
do not.

Hospice, Foster and Holding homes I put up after I contact the Original
Shelter and they give their permission. As far as 501c3 Shelter, I
really don't think that matters unless you need the information for
taxes. My view on a shelter is if they receive ferrets from abused
homes, unwanted homes or are just plain neglected, abandoned or sick,
and they take them in, make them healthy and find them a new home, to
me they ARE shelters and deserve to be on the trees.

Shelters - when you send in your information for the giving tree,
please send your e-mail addy ( I can't put it up there without
permission), your home address and, if you want, your telephone number.

Secret Santa's - a helpful hint when you fill out the form, make a copy
of the confirmation form that pops up as soon as you hit the request
button.

Dear members - This was designed to help the shelters and give the
babies a Special Christmas. I can't control the Secret Santa's and who
they pick and don't send gifts to, but I am collecting a list of non
responsive Secret Santa's, and if they choose a baby next year, I guess
I'll have to contact them and see if they will follow through. (what a
terrible thought).

Yes - I did post a cut off date on the FML and other Groups, but I will
have ALL the information on the beginning page next year as well. I'm
sorry shelters - but a cut off - is a cut off. I extended it this year
because of my mess up. No more exception's !! Cut off date is final.
November 30th is the date. As I have said in posts from the past "So
there is time for the Secret Santa's to send their gifts."

I know your busy - but when the information comes in late, they receive
their gifts late. Remember SHELTERS - if you can't get them up before
the 30th of November - those gifts are going to come late.

GOD, I love you all to death, but this was designed to help the
shelters and the ferret's in the shelter to have a stressless and
joyous Christmas. Let's not forget the gift of giving, and the love
in your heart that you have for the kids on the giving tree and their
shelter moms & dads.

For the Secret Santa's: God bless you for giving. I know times are
tight and monies are short for many, but for you to give as you always
do throughout the year, it always warms my heart.

Did you realize - that there where 500 shelter babies on the tree and
over 600 Secret Santa's? A tree like this, you can see all the amazing
things that can happen. Friends are made and hearts are always touched
in one way or the other :-)

Thanking you with all my heart,

Kris S Mewton