From:
Betsy Blaskopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:56:50 -0500
Dear FML,

This is my very first post.  I wanted to respond to any earlier post and to
anyone who is interested.  My SO and I are the crazy parents of a skunk and
two ferrets.  I myself have owned numerous ferrets over the last thirteen
years and for some strange reason I decided to branch out into new animal
domains.  Our ferrets, Bonnie and Clyde, just recently turned two and the
skunk, Mina, is seven months old.  My belief before purchasing the skunk was
that because of their relation that skunks and ferrets would be similar, but
I must say each animal has its own personality and such generalizations
about any animal would be difficult.  The only similarity between the
ferrets and the skunk is they both go to the bathroom in corners.

Bonnie who has always been the queen of the house was very upset when a new
animal was introduced into the house.  For a month I had problems with
Bonnie lossing hair on her two front legs and her belly.  After taking her
to the vet.  we determined it was psychogenic hairloss due to stress
(great-so I have a neurotic ferret).  Clyde on the other hand was mesmerized
by the skunk.  He sits and watches her (the skunk) from a distance.  He will
follow her around the house often trying to snuggle up to her.  On occasion
he has even brought his toys to her.

The biggest problem we've had, is that Mina thinks she is a ferret.  As a
five week old, she fit into the palm of our hands, and was able to freely
run where the ferrets ran, but now as a nearly seven pound bowling ball
shaped stout weasel, the skunk does not realize her physical limitations.
She tries to jump on and wrestle with the ferrets, but most of the time the
ferrets are just flattened by her weight.  Mina, the skunk, tries to run
into a 10 foot tube with the ferrets and just manages to get her head stuck.
Though Bonnie is over her neurotic grooming, I beleive she gets great joy
out of making a fool out of the skunk.  For as the skunk struggles to get
her head unstuck from the tube, Bonnie will emerge from the other end, do a
dance while she vocalizes, and then nips the skunk on the butt.

Well, I hope that helped any of the curious people wanting to know about
skunks and ferrets.  As all of you know, we all have many stories about our
fur balls, so I promise I won't take up any more room.

Quick Question--- Does any know of any ferret products for dry skin?  Can
anyone recommend a good vet.  in the Cherry Hill, NJ area?

                Thanks,
                Betsy, Rik, Bonnie, Clyde, and Mina