From:
Phyllis Berker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:48:50 EDT
I read the post by Lisette on fibrosarcoma recently, and thought I would
share the experiences I have had, specifically with my 4 yr.  old (male,
albino) ferret, Bailey.  He was diagnosed close to two yrs.  ago with
fibrosarcoma.  We had adopted him from a ferret shelter, and about a month
later, I noticed a small tumor on his head that was raised, rounded and
solid.  My vet was pretty sure it was a fibrosarcoma and did surgery to
remove this tumor.  She had to go down to the muscule tissue to remove it
all, but was fairly sure she got it all.  I had come across an old United
Ferret Organization (UFO) newsletter issue prior to the surgery, and read
an article that Dr. Susan Brown of Midwest Clinic (probably the vet Lisette
was thinking of in her post) had written about this "super nutrient and
antioxidant" called Pycnogenol.  It's derived from the French Pine Bark
tree, and has been used by Native American Indian tribes here in North
America, and among Europeans for a very long time.  I then learned that the
FDA actually approves of this nutrient/antioxidant (even though it's not a
drug) because it has no side effects, and you can't overdose on it.  In
humans, it is excellent for vein health and circulation, plus it has 40
natural antioxidants for boosting the immune system.  I started Bailey on a
full capsule - 30 mg.  I twist open the clear capsule, and pour the tan
colored powder in a spoon.  I add a little Linatone and Ferretvite to mix
the Pycnogenol.  The Pycnogenol only has a very faint smell, but hardly
noticeable.  Bailey takes this paste mixture enthusiastically.  I noticed
that the surgical site healed quickly and Bailey's fur grew back quickly
too.  Bailey's energy increased, and all his fur got thicker and healthy
looking.  The tumor was sent to the U of I lab, and was confirmed to be a
fibrosarcoma.  Prognosis of course, is not very good.  It was stated, as my
vet told me, to expect other tumors to evolve.  Within two weeks, a tumor
on Bailey's jaw developed (marble size and solid), and one at the end of
the back (smaller and softer to the touch).  I then decided to increase the
daily dose of Pycnogenol to 30 mg.  ( a full capsule).  Approx. 3 wks.
later, and to my surprise and relief, these two new tumors were no longer
there!  I had my husband confirm that he no longer felt these tumors on
Bailey, and had my vet recheck Bailey too.  I felt this might be a short
term "miracle", but at least for now, the tumors were gone.  I kept Bailey
on this 30 mg.  Pycnogenol each day for approx.  6 mos.  He never had any
negative reactions or side effects.  The tumors had still not returned.
I then cut back to 30 mg. every other day, and then eventually, to every
2-3 days.  It has been a year and a half, and Bailey is healthy, and the
fibrosarcomas are still in "remission".  I had searched the Internet for
information on Pycnogenol, and found a few informative sites.  They
documented similar positive results in other animals.  Pycnogenol can be
found at the health food stores or mail ordered from various organic co-op
groups.  I use the Schiff brand Pycnogenol, 30 mg. - 60 count.  It's about
$8, but prices vary, especially at the health food stores.  To me, it has
been a small price to pay for the good health of Bailey, and not having
him go through multiple surgeries.  I began using Pycnogenol on my adrenal
ferrets, and they eventually went into a partial or full remission.  The
article Dr. Brown wrote in the U.F.O.  newsletter, was actually
recommending the Pycnogenol therapy for adrenal disease.  It was my
decision to try it with the fibrosarcoma.  I am now trying Pycnogenol with
a 5 yr. old male ferret who recently began showing signs of insulinoma.
So far, so good.  It has been over a month now, and he hasn't had any more
seizures.  I really believe in Pycnogenol, and take it myself, but as far
as ferrets go, I think each ferret will respond to it differently.  I
noticed my older adrenal ferret took longer to respond, but she did grow
back some of her fur, and the vulva swelling was relieved.  My younger
female ferret that developed adrenal, never lost any fur and her vulva
swelling also was relieved.  In all these cases, I give 30 mg.  daily of
the Pycnogenol.  I noticed their appetites and energy levels are
maintained, no matter what age they are.  Please feel free to e-mail me if
you have other questions on my experience with this holistic therapy that
I've discovered.

Phyllis B.
Lake Villa, IL.