From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:16:25 -0600
Darci and Darcy and Pooh posted about the new ferret in their life.

>Our problem seems to be that we are not sure when she comes into her first
>heat.  We purchased her from a pet store and the owner didn't take her to
>get her shots or anything.

Well, I don't understand what business a pet store has selling an unaltered
animal in the first place!  (Ferret, cat, dog, bird, guinea pig...)

I defer to more experienced owners about when ferrets first come into heat,
but I believe it can be when they are anywhere between 6 months and a year
old.  A swollen vulva is a danger sign - take her to the vet right away!  I
don't think there's any harm done by the shots to bring a ferret out of
heat.  In my opinion, you should get her fixed right away - 8 months is old
enough!

Sara Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot Running Round You)

PS:  Don't forget the distemper shots!