From:
Susan Grassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:32:34 EST
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the list and am writing for the first time.  I have really
enjoyed reading all of the posts and like all of the information I get.  I
have owned Ferrets for 1 year, and I love them to death.  It's funny how
many people don't know anything about Ferrets but they always say, Oh
ferrets, aren't they mean?  How wrong they are.  Let me give you some
background into my problem with my fighting ferrets.  Last Feb.  I got two
Ferrets from a friend of my husbands who did not have any time for them.  I
instantly fell in love with them.  Their names were Podo and Codo and they
were brother and sister.  Codo fell very sick one day and I took him to the
vet, one that I don't think knew too much about Ferrets.  My vet was not
in their office and I did not know where to go.  So I went to an emergency
clinic.  They took some exrays and could not find anything wrong.  The vet
told me that he did not think that he could help Codo and that I should
probably put him to sleep.  Not knowing what to do I had him put to sleep.
That was the hardest decision I had ever made and needless to say was the
worst day of my life.  I had lost animals before but this was different.  I
called my regular vet on Monday and spoke to her, she got the records from
the emergency clinic and told me that I should not be too hard on myself,
(I was feeling horrible about my decision).  She did give my the name of a
different emergency clinic that deals with ferrets for the next time this
happened.  Anyway, Podo was alone for a while and she really seemed like
she needed a friend so I contacted a shelter and went to meet the Ferrets,
with Podo.  Podo got along great with all the ferrets except one.  She was
having a great time playing.  We decided to get a Blaze who was deaf.  She
was the sweetest Ferret, she was licking my next while I was holding her.
Anyway we brought Rosie home and Podo and her became fast friends.  They
were kept separate for a week or so except at playtime then we tried them
in the same cage and they were fine, fast friends.  Pretty soon afterwards
I came across two female ferrets that needed a home because the couple had
a baby and couldn't keep the ferrets.  I brought Podo with me, not Rosie
because I felt it was too soon after her coming to us.  Podo was fine with
the ferrets so I brought them home.  I kept the two pairs separate for 1
month figuring I would let them all get used to their new surroundings.  My
tow new ones are Snowball (an albino) and Rascal.  When I finally let all
four of them out together they started fighting as soon as they saw
eachother.  They really go after eachother, biting necks and screaming.  I
have tried one on one, switching hammocks to get them used to the scent,
they are even in the same room, but they still fight.  I would like to get
them to all get along and be in the same cage but I have been having no
luck.  The woman at my local pet store where I get their food told me I
should just let them fight and eventually they would get along but I don't
feel that that is a good idea.  I can't stand to watch them hurting
eachother and I don't want any blood drawn.  If anyone can give me some
advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Susan, Podo, Rosie, Snowball and Rosie