From:
James Rademaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:47:29 -0700
Hi All,

Since we are currently on the topic of biting I would like to share an
experience I had.  My very first ferret, Stinklette, was purchased at a
pet shop in Fl. as a kit (sounds funny, like something you would put
together).  When I got her home I removed her from her travel container
to welcome and acquaint her with her new home.  She was so small that she
could comfortably curl up in the palm of your hand.  I proceeded to
cuddle her to my neck with loving coos.

All of a sudden I felt a sharp pain at my throat.  As I drew her away I
felt a tug at my throat, the more I pulled, the harder the tug.  She had
latched on to my Adam's apple and wasn't letting go.  I rushed to the
bathroom mirror to find this little creature dangling from my throat.
This brave tiny little animal actually thought she could bring down a
6'2", 210 lb human male single handedly.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I
wasn't ready to go through life with a ferret for a neck tie; her color
didn't go with any of my suits!  I thought about waiting for a full moon
but that would take too long.  I finally got a tooth pick and began to
pry her jaws apart.  Once I had extracted her from my throat I held her
at arms length and explained to her that she could go back as quick as
she came.  She looked at me with those sweet innocent eyes as if to say
"Just letting you know who's in charge around here!"

Stinklette and I got along fine after that.  She lived to the ripe old
age of 10yrs 11months and never bit again.  She did however threaten our
8lb cat on numerous occasions.  I now see where they get the reputation
of "No Fear"!  I have had several ferrets since then and have not had
another bitter yet.

Mike, w/Stretch, Morgan & Thor