From:
leann leitner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:46:34 -0800
My ferret, Dala, had her left kidney removed today.  She was scheduled
for right adrenal cryo-surgery today because of adrenal disease symptoms
(the left one was removed last year successfully).  When the vet opened
her up and took a look, he initially thought the left kidney was missing.
Upon further examination, he found a small (size of a kidney bean) mass.
He dissected the tissue after removing it and said it appeared to be the
kidney, but it is about 90% smaller than the right kidney.  On this
suspect kidney is a mass of tissue that is about two times the size of
the kidney.  He could not tell what type of tissue this was, but he
thinks there is a possibility that it might be adrenal tissue.

I was present during her left adrenal surgery last year and the vet
showed me all of her major organs and never commented that her left
kidney was abnormal.  She also had radiographs last year by a different
vet and he did not see anything abnormal on the film (we were looking
for a possible blockage).

Dala is about 4 years old and female.  She had her left adrenal and
part of her pancreas removed October 2003.  She has been on 0.5 mg of
Prednisolone daily for her insulinoma for over a year now, which has
successfully controlled her blood glucose in a healthy range.  We
believe she might be blind or going blind.

The kidney/tissue sample is being sent to a lab to be analyzed.
Hopefully it will yield some idea as to what went wrong.

I have not been able to find any information on the internet that
describes these conditions.  If anyone has any ideas to what might have
caused the left kidney to shrink, please contact me (through FML or
e-mail).

Thanks,

Leann Freeman