From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:27:29 CST6CDT
Minta - One of my vets gave me an enzyme to put in the ferret's food that
would start breaking it down before they eat, making it easier to digest.
I've also heard of people using papaya enzymes with ferrets.  Check with
your vet.  Vets, any comments here?

ECE - First an update.  Week 8 starting today.  Almost all recovered at this
point.  Still occasional diarrhea but everyone is eating and drinking well
and gaining back lost weight.

Poto died Wednesday morning at 6:15.  She started having dark brown pudding
stools the previous Thursday.  Poto had cancer, a bad heart, and an enlarged
spleen.  She was 5-6 years old.  She was already weakened by her diseases.
I had a gross necropsy performed and the primary killer was diagnosed as
cancer, but ECE was apparent by the inflamed small intestine.  Her body mass
and color were good so dehydration was not a contributing factor.  I had
been working with her diseases for several years.  Her passing was
unexpected and she went quietly.

Vet Questions - Since ECE attacks the intestinal lining, what can we give
them to coat it other than Pepto?  Is there anything else?  Also will the
canine corona virus vaccine protect them from ECE?  Has anyone had their
ferrets vaccinated against canine corona and had the ferret contract ECE?

Hugs.  tle.