From:
Laura Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 17:33:56 -0400
This is my first post, so I'll introduce myself and my lil ones. (That's
the procedure, right? :-)  ).  Well, I doubt anyone really cares to hear
much about me, so I'll focus on the beauties.  I've been lurking on the FML
for a month or so now and am amazed at all the wonderful people and the
amazing wealth of information.  I've made many changes in my life and the
girls' surroundings from suggestions found here, hopefully improving same.
Thank you all, from the 3 of us!

I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but I'm rather verbose and have
difficulty with that.  I have 2 ferrets, Zen and Bu.  Both Queens.  :-).
Zen is my first precious and is 3 1/2, very light, very beautiful MF sable
(I'm pretty sure she's sable.  she's *very* light).  Bu is my demon-child
who brought life back into Zen.  She's 2 1/2 and also an MF sable, though
*much* darker and has the most interesting markings which change each
season.  I have not had one health problem yet (knock on wood, throw salt,
whatever..  ) I had a big scare today and would appreciate thoughts/advice
from this wealth of wisdom and experience.

I was on a 2 1/2 day trip for work at this lake/campground area.  Being
obsessed/neurotic/in love with the lil ones, i couldn't leave the girls
behind so brought them along, cage in tow.  Only took them out of the cage
briefly as the site wasn't "proofed" and I was concerned for their safety.
On the way home today, my friend was driving, the girls and I were in the
back seat, and something was wrong with Bu.  She's started shaking her head,
opening her mouth like she was gagging, and foaming at the mouth.  She would
shake her head, paw at her mouth as if she was trying to get at something,
and scratch with her front paws at the bedding.  I didn't know what to do.
We were in a very rural area, with nothing around.  I kept my eye on her,
picked her up one time to see if I could see if anything was lodged and
couldn't find anything.  Being experienced at "ferret-heimlich maneuvers" :-)
(that's a whole 'nother story!!), I thought I would try that.  Nothing.  I
was so upset, not knowing what to do.  We tried to find a vet in one lil
town, but to no avail.  Figured I'd take her when I got home as it would be
less than an hour, so I just watched, waited and cried.  When we arrived at
my friend's to get my car and head home, I took the cage out of the car and
she was fine.  I don't trust the vets around here too well, so would rather
not take them if I don't have to.  Money is *not* an issue when it comes to
them.  I just thought if I was being neurotic and she was fine, then more
harm might come to her going to a mostly unknowledgeable vet or possibly
exposing her to diseases in the office.  Please no flames on that.  I was
only doing what I thought best for my baby.  So I cancelled all plans for
the rest of the day to keep my eye on her.  Got her home, and she's been
fine.  A bit lethargic (for her at least.  she can still outrun me anyday!).
She's been eating, drinking, and playing since we got home, pretty normally.
But I still have no idea what was wrong and don't know whether I should risk
a vet visit or not.  If anyone has experienced anything like this, I would
greatly appreciate advice.  Could the a/c in the car have been bothering
her?  Could she have just been car sick?  (never has been before as far as
I know) I just have *no* idea!!  Thank you in advance.  You people (and
fuzzies) are wonderful.  Sorry this was so long.  Feel free to post

Worried mama
Queen Zen
Queen Bu