From:
"Deborah (Danee) DeVore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:19:58 -0000
I am sorry to say that Herschel von Seidig (aka Hershey) was helped
to the Bridge Monday morning.  I posted a message to Sandee, but this
tribute to Hershey did not get into Tuesday's FML.  Many readers may
recognize that Hershey is the kid with ADV that has been writing to
the FML for several months.  But Hershey is a lot more then that, and
I wanted the readers of the FML to know just how special he was.

Hershey has been a very special ferret for me.  He has lived with ADV for
3 years, and has, at times, had to really fight to keep going.  Through
all of it he has never complained, and has been both brave and loving.
His courageous fight to live has been a constant source of inspiration
to me.

I first met Hershey when he was about 5 weeks old.  I was considering
getting a kit from his litter, and from the beginning I was struck by
his extremely soft coat.  Over the next few weeks, I visited several
times, and always was drawn to him.  In the end, I got both Hershey and
his brother ET.  ET was a big handsome cinnamon boy, and Hershey was
Mr. Softy.  Hershey was named because he was a chocolate from German
bloodlines, and had a silky coat.  Seidig is the German word for silky.

Hershey was never much of a show ferret.  His coat had roaning in it, and
his shoulders were too narrow.  Also, he was not comfortable in noisy
crowded places with strange animals and people around.  He would withdraw
at shows, and seemed to have no personality.  One judge once described
him as being "very average".

At home was a different story.  Hershey was always my explorer ferret.
He never had much interest in playing with toys, but he loved to explore
new places and go for walks outside on a leash.  He also loved to be
held, and to get attention from me and my family.  He was my sweet
chocolate boy with the freckled nose.

When ADV came to our house, and 9 of my ferrets became ADV+, I felt
devastated.  Some of my best show ferrets were affected.  However,
Hershey was the one I felt worst about.  I am not sure why - maybe it
was the way he looked at me.  When he looked at me, I could tell he had
complete trust in me to make everything "all right".  ADV was something
that I couldn't make "all right" - at least not for him.

Hershey became sick from the ADV almost immediately.  Three months after
the exposure he was at death's door - his liver was failing, he was down
to skin and bones, and bloodtests showed that his total proteins were
way higher then normal, something characteristic of ADV.  We tried
antibiotics, and while they did help the liver some, they irritated his
stomach to the point he was throwing up.  I decided that there was little
I could do except love him and make him as comfortable as possible for
as long as possible.  I also made a pledge to him that I would do
whatever I could to warn other people about the dangers of ADV, so that
other ferrets wouldn't have to suffer, and that I would work to raise
money for ADV Research, so that maybe someday there would be a cure or
vaccine for this terrible disease.

Somehow, Hershey was able to rally, and regain some of his strength and
weight.  We started giving him intensive supportive care, and letting
him have special privileges, so he could enjoy life as much as possible.
Over the next year or so, we had several crises, but each time he fought
it, and came back.  We learned how to help keep weight on, and how to
stimulate the muscles and develop good muscle tone through exercise.

Then, I decided to try Imuran as a means of lowering his gammaglobulins.
While it took a while, it apparently had at least some of the desired
effect with Hershey.  His liver values improved, and he became stronger
and more active.  At one point before the Imuran his liver enzyme values
were over 3 times the high end of normal.  After 6 months of treatment,
they were back to within normal limits.  His silky coat, which had become
coarse and brittle during the year of illness, came back in long and soft
and shiny.

The next problem he faced was early renal failure.  This actually started
about a year ago, but progressed very slowly until recently.  The only
sign we had at that time was anemia, which Dr. Stevenson had said in
ferrets with ADV was usually due to decreased renal function.  We started
using Procrit to stimulate the production of red cells, and again, the
medicine bought Hershey more quality time here with me.  His hematocrit
improved, and he again had more energy.  Sometimes, when he got excited,
he would even dance and dook, something he never much did even before he
got sick.

Through all of this Hershey remained very positive and determined to
be as well as possible.  And, because of all the special care he was
receiving, he and I became even closer.  And, because of his attitude,
he became my source of inspiration.  Whatever I have done these past 3
years in the fight against ADV, whatever I may have accomplished, has
largely been due to Hershey and his wonderful and courageous spirit.
Now, his memory will serve as my source of strength and inspiration.

Hershey may have been very average in his appearance, but his heart and
soul were anything but average.

Sleep peacefully my sweet little man, my freckle faced chocolate boy.
You have earned a rest, and we will meet again some day.

Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit: http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom