From:
Paula A Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 13:58:42 -0700
Hi, all,
I am finally in a position to try to help any fuzz-butt rescues in the Tampa
area.  I called our Humane Society & was told ferrets are not adopted out,
they are simply destroyed when they are brought in.  I did not attempt to
argue with the nice young girl - it was obvious she had no clue.

I called the Wildlife in Need number & was told that the reason the Humane
Society destroys them is that they are rabies carriers who may not show
symptoms their whole lives, but still be able to infect people when they
bite!

I am in shock, and am writing to request any help/info FML'ers may be able
to offer.  I am concerned about the Humane Society, obviously, but also
about Wildlife Shelters that need educating also.  Please help.  Also, if
there are any local area shelters/rescues, could you e-mail with contact
info?  I thought Fla was safe for carpet sharks & am scared & saddened to
learn we're not.

I'm reeling.
Best to all,
Paula Bryder
Rikki (Ma, we need to help those ferrets!)
Camille (oh,boy, can we take somebody new home, Ma, can we, huh???)
Conan (what's a shelter?)
Cady the Dawg & Kelsey the Cat (here we go again!)