From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 29 May 1994 19:58:00 -0400
Heard something quite interesting from someone at our WalMart day today.
She said Norway is rabies free.  It would be quite interesting to find
out if ferrets are legal in Norway - foundation for our "rabies isn't a
problem in ferrets" statements - of course we all know it isn't a problem
but this would add one more hmm - weapon - to our artillary.  Anyone want
to check on this?

At our home when a new ferret comes in he/she is quarantined in a cage
for 2 wee- days (my vet always gets on me for not keeping them quarantined
for the 2 weeks - but once I look into those sad eyes - I just melt -
although they are caged when I'm gone for their own protection) Anyway I
let them run around and meet everyone on their own but as soon as I hear
a screech I'm up like a flash (this is sometimes alarming to the dogs at
3 a.m.!).  Just the other day (night actually) I heard the most horrible
screech and thought Marley was surely being torn to shreds (he'd only
been with me a few weeks) only to find him and Vixen staring at each
other and Vixen was screeching!  They were about a foot apart and I
suppose Vixen thought she saw a ghost as Marley looks a lot like her
dad who passed on in 1992.  I of course picked her up and cuddled till
she settled down and put her back in her bed and then promptly took
Marley into the other room with me.  Since then no more screeches.  I do
not suggest that anyone else introduce ferrets this way - mine are quite
use to newcomers (even though some don't like it) - so in introducing new
ferrets its a good idea to meet on neutral territory and monitor them
closely.  Take it slow and easy and try not to change your regular routine
with your current ferret.

One last thing - the other day I was fixing the ferrets "special" mixture
and as always Gizzie laid on his back with belly up and big black eyes
sooo wide and sad looking (cause he wanted me to hurry, of course) and
all of a sudden Coco Puffs laid on her back (she never had before)!  Coco
is my problem child (just mischevious) and it is rare she responds to
anything so this was totally amazing - not to mention cute.  Who ever
says ferrets aren't intelligent will have to deal with me!!!!  Coco knew
exactly what she was doing and why.  (It did hurry me up AFTER I picked
them both up for hugs!)

I really am going on vacation now.  Hugs to all!  TLE