From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:06:51 -0600
[Moderator's note: Originally posted as parts A, B and C.  Combined
here.  BIG]

FERRET PHARMACY:

Most hospital cages have a minor associated "ferret pharmacy" of
ointments and medicines, and mine is no exception.  Almost all the stuff
in my ferret pharmacy can fit into a single plastic storage container
that is stored in the refrigerator.  With a few exceptions, the items
on this list can be used as needed without needing the advice of a vet.
Some items are available at some high-end pet shops, such as some ear
mite medicines, but should really be only be used under the direction
of a vet.  I didn't go out and buy all this stuff at once; my ferret
pharmacy has evolved over the years.  I occasionally add new items, and
sometimes even remove them.  I strive to obtain the highest quality
materials as possible for the ferret pharmacy and nearly all are of "for
human-use" standard.

I have to emphasize the need to discuss your ferret's pain and how to
control it with your vet.  Some ferrets tend to develop gastric ulcers
under stress, and in those cases, aspirin -- even baby aspirin--can
exacerbate bleeding.  PLEASE check with your vet before using any aspirin
product on your ferret.

Acarexx (ear mites): use only as directed and with the supervision of
your vet.

Antibacterial creams (cuts and scrapes): includes such creams as
Bacitracin, Polysporin, triple antibiotic cream, Neosporin, and
Mycitracin, ferrets will generally lick these off if they can reach them,
so only use a thin application.  I apply a small amount to a q-tip, then
gently rub it on the wound.

Bag Balm (cracked and dry skin): if the skin is dry, I use baby lotion,
but if the skin, nose, or foot pads are also cracked, I move up to Bag
Balm.

* Baby aspirin [tablets already broken into 1/4 dose] (pain relief): IF
YOUR VET HAS APPROVED THE USE, you can sparingly use a 1/4 tablet for
minor pain relief for all but post-surgical applications.  For ferrets
recovering from surgery, talk to your vet about pain relief.

Baby powder [corn-starch based] (fur cleansing): If the ferret is dirty
and you are reluctant to bathe them, sprinkle on some corn-starch based
baby powder, gently rub it in, then brush it out.

Baby lotion (dry skin): If the skin is dry, but not cracked, I use baby
lotion to soothe and condition the skin.

Bactine (wound care): While I normally consider this "expensive water,"
is has great application in washing dirt from wounds.

Benzylperoxide (black heads): I used acne pads soaked with benzylperoxide
to treat blackheads, especially on tails.

Calamine lotion (skin irritation): great for local skin inflammation from
insect bites or extremely itchy skin.  Only use sparingly, especially in
ferrets that might lick it from the skin.

Corn Syrup (low blood sugar): I dip a q-tip in corn syrup and rub it on
the gums during low blood sugar episodes.  If you give corn syrup or any
other treatment for low blood sugar, inform your vet immediately!

Dental Gel (dental hygiene): there are several varieties, and they are
very useful to clean a sick ferret's teeth.

Disposable instant ice bags (fever relief, swelling control); these
things will conform to a ferret's body, and because they do not get the
fur wet or melt (as with ice cubes), they are far more convenient.  If
you use disposable instant ice bags for either fever or swelling, use
them only while driving over to see the vet.

Dry Shampoo (fur cleaning): I don't like this as much as using a
corn-starch based baby powder because I'm not sure I like the idea of
ferrets licking it from their fur, but sometimes it is the best choice.

Feline A/D: (diet supplement): this is kind of expensive, but it is a
good dietary supplement for ferrets that turn up their noses to baby
chicken or Bob's Chicken Gravy.  Use as directed.

Ferretone (vitamin supplement): use only as directed and do not "double
dose" by giving other supplements, such as Nutrical.

Ferretvite (vitamin supplement): use only as directed and do not "double
dose" by giving other supplements, such as Nutrical.

Gauze Pads (wound care): I use 2x2s to gently wash old blood or surgical
stains from the skin.

Glutose 15 oral glucose paste (low blood sugar): this stuff is fantastic!
It is lemon-flavored and has a known percentage of glucose, so you and
your vet know what dose was given.  If you give Glutose 15 or any other
treatment for low blood sugar, inform your vet immediately!

Hard soap (nail bleeding): just scratch the bleeding nail into the soap,
at 9 times out of 10 it will stop the bleeding.  This is much kinder to
the ferret than styptic powder.

Honey (low blood sugar): I dip a q-tip in honey and rub it on the gums
during low blood sugar episodes.  If you give honey or any other
treatment for low blood sugar, inform your vet immediately!

Hydrocortisone cream, 0.5 to 1% (severe itch): I only use this sparingly
and in thin applications, but it is helpful when a ferret has an
irritable itchy spot.

Hydrogen Peroxide (wound care, disinfecting): use for cleansing wounds,
especially around stitches.  The application can be quite painful if
poured into a deep wound.  Also useful if a q-tip is dipped into the
peroxide and used to clean the gums.

Ivermectin ear drops (ear mites): use only as directed and with the
supervision of your vet.

K-Y (taking temperatures): just squirt some out, dip the tip of the
thermometer into the water-based lubricant, and take the temperature.

Laxatone (hairball remedy): use as directed to prevent or help pass
hairballs.

Liquid Tears (cleaning eyes): use to wash foreign substances from the
eyes.

Nutrical (vitamin supplement): use only as directed and do not "double
dose" by giving other supplements, such as Ferretvite.

Oil of cloves (dental pain relief): if a ferret has broken or cracked a
tooth and is in obvious pain, I use a q-tip to rub a bit of oil of cloves
around the injury prior to taking the ferret to the vet.

Olive Oil (cleaning ears and nose): nothing is more effective than a
q-tip dipped in olive oil for cleaning the gunk from a ferret's ears.

Pedialyte (oral electrolyte maintenance): Use to dilute baby foods,
during fevers, or for long-term electrolyte maintenance.

Pepto Bismol (GI upsets and bleeding): 0.25 to 0.5 ml per kg of ferret
body weight, given every 6 hours.  Ferrets seem to hate the taste, so
scruff and duck.  I will call my vet before I give Pepto Bismol and get
their input before I worry the ferret and myself.  Pepto Bismol can
oxidize and turn the tongue and poop dark colored, even black.

Petromalt (hairball preventative): use as directed on the tube.

Rubbing alcohol (disinfecting): very effective in removing sticky residue
from tape, or disinfecting metal tools, such as scissors.  DO NOT allow
the ferret to lick rubbing alcohol, nor use it near wounds.

Sterile saline (cleansing; wound care): good for cleaning post-surgical
wounds, washing cuts and abrasions, and soaking blood from fur.

Styptic powder (bleeding control): this stuff stings, but can stop
bleeding from minor cuts and wounds, or from nicked nail quicks.

Tresaderm (ear mites): use only as directed and with the supervision of
your vet.

Tincture of benzoin (to toughen fragile skin): you can use this to
toughen a ferret's skin if it is extremely delicate and you have to apply
tape frequently.  Because some ferrets might develop contact dermatitis
from the application, it should only be used sparingly, and never without
the supervision of your vet.

Vaseline (misc. uses): great for treating dry and cracked nose and foot
pads, for covering the nose to encourage a fear biter to let go, and for
waterproofing the anal region in ferrets with chronic diarrhea or those
that cannot control their bowel movements.

Waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer (disinfecting): I use this to
spot-clean areas of a ferret's fur that has been soiled with wound
discharge.

**Zinc oxide cream (water proofing, anal care): use a thin application to
waterproofing the anal region in ferrets with chronic diarrhea or those
that cannot control their bowel movements.  Ferrets are susceptible to
zinc poisoning, so only use sparingly.

* Use ONLY under the supervision of your vet!!

**Ferrets are susceptible to zinc poisoning, so if your ferret licks it
off be sure to only use a thin application and do not use more than a few
days without consulting your vet.

Bob C