Date:
Sun, 1 May 2011 23:46:34 -0800
In recent years the ferret community has come to know a young couple
who were introduced to each other through ferrets. Joel Vanderbush, a
presenter at the 2007 Portland Symposium was also a source of great
inspiration and entertainment at the dinner and auction. In 2008, he
MCed the Pittsburgh Symposium and his wife, Ailigh, presented
information on ferret socialization. Together they operate Animalia
(http://www.animalia.us) in Indianapolis, IN, where their mission
"is to engage and educate the public to further the appreciation,
conservation and responsible care for all animals, exotic and
domestic."

Originally a reptile owner, Aliligh was drawn to the furry little
critters. "I had always thought about ferrets since the movie
'Beastmaster' and when the opportunity came to add a ferret to my life,
I took it. I already had an iguana, so something furry seemed like a
good idea. From that point, I was hooked." Ailigh's first ferret came
from the RSPCA in England. "I brought him home, Cat was his name, and
he was a feisty biter so I decided to get him a playmate, Mouse. Then
ferret math took over" with the inevitable results!

Ailigh is a Certified Animal Behavior Trainer and is currently
completing her Master's in Companion Animal Behavior. You may have
read her posts in Ferrets magazine, where she serves as the behavioral
consultant and answers your questions about ferrets
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets-magazine/ferret-behavior-expert/topiclist.aspx>
Joel has a Master's degree in Education and a Bachelor of Science
degree in Zoology with a concentration in Animal Behavior.  He has
worked as a zoo keeper, educator, programs manager, and consultant.
Joel is also a wildlife artist.

Ailigh and Joel met during a zoo visit on Groundhog Day (February 2,
2001) and, as Joel remembers it, it was love at first whiff. "I had
worked with ferrets in Zoo education programs for 10 years. One day at
the Indianapolis Zoo, a woman entered my office and she smelled like
ferrets. Like the sweet smell of ambrosia, I was hooked. About a year
later, I married that ferret smelling woman." Ailigh also counts this
meeting as one of her most memorable experiences. "He tells me I smell
like ferrets (match made in heaven)" she said.

Although they share a love for animals, the couple is different in
other ways. Both Ailigh and Joel love the movie "Beastmaster," but
their taste in music is a bit diverse. Ailigh prefers Jethro Tull, Pink
Floyd, The Ramones, Runrig, and musicals, while Joel likes to listen
to Big Band and Swing. Given 24 hours with anyone Ailigh would choose
science fiction author Robert Heinlein while Joel's choice would be
Jane Goodall.

Ailigh will be discussing Ferret Behavioral Problems at the 2011 Tempe
Symposium. And Joel will return as your moderator. Take the time to
visit with them and learn about some of the memorable moments the two
share.

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we