From:
Bonnie Tormohlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 01:41:28 -0700
My goodness!

I appreciate the loyalty and positive emails I've received very much,
and now I think it would benefit the ferrets more to put the nonsense
to bed and get back on topic.

Deva, I love ya lady. I appreciate your comments as well, but I cannot
take credit for the day-to-day operations of CDFEA. That credit goes to
the small band of rescuers and shelter ops there in So. Cal that have
taken in literally hundreds of ferrets the past few years, saving them
from harm. They are the ones making sure these babies are given proper
nutrition and veterinary care, staying up all night with sick fuzzies
and missing out on vacations because there is no one to watch the fur
kids. They are heroes in my book, and I applaud them for hanging in as
long as they have considering the minimal support they receive from
Californians in general.

For at least a couple decades now, there have been dedicated
"underground" rescuers in California. Their efforts are commendable.
Unfortunately, for every ferret these underground volunteers rescues,
an exponential number are falling by the wayside. We know this from the
volume of calls the shelter receives from humane organizations up and
down the state. These are the ferrets that end up in animal control
facilities, humane societies or wildlife centers. Some underground
rescuers have a good relationship with their local humane society and
are able to quietly save ferrets that end up there. This is not the
case in the entire state though, and without permitted shelters for
these humane organizations to release seized and surrendered ferrets
to, they will euthanize. Do not forget that there are more ferrets in
California than any other US state...make no mistake, they are being
euthanized.

I hope someone steps up soon.

Bonnie Tormohlen
Managing Director
Northern Arizona Ferret Alliance & Rescue, Inc