From:
SCN User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:56:49 -0700
My dad recently visited us, and now he understands why we have ferrets!

He used to think of them as being somewhat like huge hamsters, or maybe
like chinchillas--cute to look at but why would you want an animal who
wouldn't really relate to you?  Well, now he knows that these little
guys are loving, smart, playful individuals with distinct individual
personalites, and they interact with humans and definitely communicate
their wishes and emotions!

Although he wasn't awake in the morning, so he missed Monty's wild and
joyful somersaults and Madison's zany, graceful leaps (not to mention the
wrestling matches and games of tunnel-tag) he was able to see plenty of
action.

He could see how much Monty loves his toys and Madison loves his
rattley-roly-balls and how they play with them a lot.  He saw me holding
and cuddling and petting Monty, and Monty just lying there luxuriating in
the affection, with a big smile on his sweet merry ferret face.

He watched Madison being 'vroomed' across the rug and saw how Mads will
fling himself down, belly-up with all four feet waving in the air, begging
for more.

While we were at work, I'm sure he was treated to the sight of our adorable
and manipulative Madison standing up in the cage, waving at him for all
the world as if he were saying, "I say, you there!  Yoo-hoo!  Human!  I
say, let me out!" in his customary imperial manner like the little
aristocrat he is.

I know he saw our strong and sturdy Monty perform great feats of climbing
and exploring, which explains why we have nothing breakable or hazardous
in the living room... and he witnessed that marvelous ferret curiosity
countless times!

He even accepted it when our friendly little Monty-vampire 'grabbed'
him, understanding that it wasn't really a 'bite' but rather more of an
invitation to play--and also showing that Monty classified my dad as
'male.' (My husband has a theory that Monty will play more gently with me
because he sees me as a 'crybaby girl' who squeals and whimpers every time
I'm 'grabbed.'  Could be.  Monty is the sweetest, most-loving, sunniest
little soul I've ever met)

And he witnessed Madison being a Good-Boy-goes-poop-in-the-Bumpy-Box and
looking all smug and proud and getting his praise and his treat...you have
to admit, that's a really cute thing Mads does; in fact, he will come and
get us to make sure that we KNOW he is going to go poop in the litter box,
because he knows he won't get the reward if we don't see him go.

In short, he saw first-hand the affection, intelligence, and playfulness
that make us love and admire our wee pals so much...not because my husband
and I told him about it, but because the ferrets themselves showed him.
What wonderful creatures these small friends are, winning over an 'old
curmudgeon' the way they did!

What great personality these ferrets have. . .

Kate, Monty and Madison