Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:24:12 -0400
>From:    The Weyr <[log in to unmask]>
>As for the breeders........
>2-when I have one of your ferrets turned in are you willing to take it
>back or financially support it.  In 12 years never once has a breeder
>answered yes to number 2.  I have found that most shelters require you
>to return a ferret you have adopted from them, to them, if you can no
>longer keep it.  See a difference?  We do what we do for the love of
>the ferrets.  The breeders??????????? ...

Geez, you must have some really crappy breeders near you!  As a ferret
breeder for the past 18 years I have always made it a point to be
responsible for all the animals that I put on this earth.  Most breeders
I know have a clause in their contract that states if the person can no
longer care for the ferret then that breeder needs to be contacted so
arrangements can be made to get the ferret back.  Most breeders I know
and work with do this.  I prefer to work with other breeders who not
only talk this talk but also walk this walk.

I most recently found out that a client who purchased 3 ferrets from
me turned them into his local ferret shelter.  Yes the client signed
my contract but for some reason failed to let me know his living
arrangements had changed and he had to get rid of the ferrets.  This
client had had the ferrets for over 4 years.

The ferrets were turned into his local ferret shelter.  This shelter did
not know about my contract with the client but did know that the ferrets
were from me.  This shelter did not know they should contact me.  Once I
heard through the ferret grapevine that this shelter had some of my
ferrets I immediately made arrangements to get them back.  I really had
better things to do that Saturday than to make an 8 hour round trip to
pick up my kids, but I found a couple of friends and we took a road trip.

In this process I have helped a ferret shelter modify their intake plan
so that when they receive ferrets and know who the breeder is then that
breeder will be contacted.  Why should a ferret shelter have to incur
expenses they really don't need to.  It's the breeders responsibility
or should I say it's what any 'responsible' breeder should be doing.

During this experience I had the opportunity to meet a great couple who
truly love what they are doing for the ferrets.  All the ferrets I met at
their shelter are happy and healthy and I can now recommend folks in that
area where to go for ferrets.  They had also fallen in love with one of
my kids that they rescued and wanted to keep her.  I thought they were
great ferret parents so she is now one of their personal kids.  Since she
did incur some medical expenses for the shelter I made sure to make a
donation to the shelter to help cover those expenses.  They were
pleasantly surprised that I did this.  I thought it was the least I could
do.

Once again I am really sorry you have only crappy breeders in your area.
I just wanted you to know that in my experience most of the breeders I
work with are not like this and do take responsiblity for their ferrets.
Responsible ferret breeders should have no impact on the ferret shelter
community.  I've always said that and I stand behind what I say.  I talk
the talk and I walk the walk.

Vickie

Vickie McKimmey

Just a Business of Ferrets