From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:09:04 +0100
>As I have not come across adrenal ferrets in the UK, can anyone let me
>know about first the singes that I should be looking for and how it
>progresses

Just over a year ago, Bubbles had severe hair loss, and I was sure I
knew the cause, but the vet took some convincing, indeed the first
reference book he looked at suggested other causes of the symptoms,
but I persisted, and on checking another (more recent) reference work,
the vet (a locum at my usual practice) started to "join the dots".

The vet was honest, he had never performed this surgery before and was
willing to refer us to a ferret experienced vet if I wanted to, but was
keen to undertake it himself if I was happy with that.

In the face of this blinding honesty, I gave him the URL for Dr
Williams site, and armed with the imfo from there, this vet performed
his first ever adrenal surgery on my big ol' Warweezil Both ferret and
vet survived the experience, (but sadly the vet moved on to other
practices) and very soon I had a "fuzzy fuzzy" as his hair grew back

For Bubbles it was hairloss on his back, tail and belly, coupled with a
slighly more agressive behaviour in play that alerted me to his problem.
It was a bit of a risk, but I figured that he was confident that he could
do it, and the experience may help another fuzzy somewhere.

Sadly, I have recently noticed a renewed thinning of hair on Bubbles
belly, and am monitoring this until his imminent appointment for his
distemper booster, when I will discuss it with the vet.  I am worried
about this as this will be the more difficult gland of the 2.

Cris,
Bubbles, Skweek and Rhoobarb
(Remembering Cussieangelweezil  wardancing at the bridge)
mailto:[log in to unmask]