From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 00:19:23 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3158

>Our little Leo (whom I have written about before) has an auto-immune
>disease and is on a pretty heavy dose of Prednisolone (.35ml twice a
>day, 5mg/ml strength) to keep it in check.  We are slowly working to
>reduce that down to the minimum effective dose he needs.  The problem is
>that he has been getting thin fur over his shoulders and on his tail and
>losing fur on his toes, back feet, nose and a couple spots on his tummy.
>The vet thinks it could be a side effect of the high Pred dose.  Leo has
>been checked for adrenal and the doctor doesn't think that is what is
>going on.

A high pred dose can cause thinning hair all over - but it is still
somewhat subtle, while what you are describing seems like more than
that.  I think that you should take another good look at the adrenal
possibility - perhaps even the TN test.

It looks as if you are doing the right thing with the pred dose, and
don't think that it precludes surgery - it just makes it a bit trickier.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM