From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:33:41 +0800
Crepuscular means: Becoming active at twilight or before sunrise, as
do bats and certain insects and birds.

Since first becoming owned by ferrets, many books and sites describe
them as being crepuscular. I'd like to know from where this information
first came. If anyone can help me in my research, I would truly
appreciate it.

My ferrets are certainly not crepuscular which is what led me to look
further. I would describe my ferrets as being mainly nocturnal with a
fair bit of daytime activity. I found these 2 sites by the same author
which describe polecats as being mainly nocturnal with some daylight
activity, depending on the availability of prey, weather etc.

<http://ead.univ-angers.fr/~ecologie/Polecat_project.html#_LODE_T._1999_2>
[The links from the above page to the abstracts seem to be incorrect.
For example, one link points to
http://sciences.univ-angers.fr/ecologie/Swimlut.html but probably
should be to http://ead.univ-angers.fr/~ecologie/Swimlut.html  BIG]

<http://ead.univ-angers.fr/~ecologie/Pub_PDF/Time%20Budget%20BehavProc99.pdf>

There are other sites that say the same, but these are well resourced.

This could show more clearly the need of ferrets to be exposed to
natural daylight/sunshine on a regular basis.

Input welcome.

:-)

Shirley