Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:45:41 -0600
Just a month before I joined the FML, over two years ago, my Max died of
adrenal disease.  He was 9 1/2 years old and had lived with this disorder
for about 4 1/2 years.

My vet at the time did not have a lot of experience with ferrets, but for
the most part seemed to know what he was doing.  The year I saw Max's hair
fall out, I found Modern Ferret - an issue from either the first or second
year.  I was astounded to see that other ferrets had experienced this
disease, and showed the article to my vet.  He agreed that this was the
problem, but said that surgery was out of the question for my Max, as he
was too old at 5 years of age.

So Max lived out his remaining years, getting weaker and weaker, with us
feeling helpless and at a loss of what to do for him, suffering with him
on his bad days, and rejoicing on his good days.  Finally he became
incontinent, and then eventually succumbed to the disease.

Then I joined the FML and found out that ferrets were having surgeries well
into their geriatric years and surviving!  It was too late for my Max, but
it will never be allowed to happen again.

Knowledge is power.  If I had known back then what I know now, Max might
still be with me today.  He'd be 11 1/2 years old.  Now, that would have
been something.  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of what might
have been...

The greatest thing a person can do, is to learn everything they can about
what they are dealing with.  For my Max, it was too late.  But for the
ferrets who came into our lives after his passing, their lives have already
been improved, and I owe that to the FML.

The knowledge I have gained from here is irreplaceable and worth its weight
in gold.  And best of all, I get to be a part of this group and the process
that helps others gain knowledge that may one day save the life of another
ferret, or at least extend it.

What more can I say?  I am completely in your debt.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur
For the Love of Ferrets...