From:
Liane Novick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:24:53 EDT
Dear FML'rs -

I love to read the FML - the laugh's, the tears, and the support we give
each other could be found no where else.  I have turned to you in my times
of sorrow (when Ringo crossed the bridge) and in times of need (when my
career was taking me to England!  - but then my
boyfriend-who-is-now-my-husband couldn't bear to see me move away and
interceded and...I'll save that story for another time.) Now I come to you
asking for more sage advice!

I am providing (along with others) a halfway house for fuzzies.  I cannot
afford to run a shelter (definitely on my list when I win the lottery)!  So
I provide food/care/shelter and love to homeless fuzzies until a home can
be found.  Since July I have found good homes to 8 little ones...and am
providing hospice care to one elderly ferret who will soon be crossing the
bridge.  Today I received a call from a desperate ferret owner.  She and
her SO have 3 ferrets, all approx.  8 months old.  Well, one the little
guys just hasn't gotten the idea of the litter box.  I spoke with her for a
while about 'options' and 'techniques' that might give the little one the
idea.  His siblings seem to have no problems.  She has tried towels in the
area, time out, scruffing and 'NO,' not letting him out of the cage until
he goes (she says he will go to the box, back up and look like he's using
it - but only to fool her--and they say ferret's are smart)!  She says he
even knows when he is bad - he'll not come but move away when she calls
after he has had an accident.  She has tried putting pans/paper in all the
corners he uses - and now he uses just about anywhere he pleases!  She
states sometime he'll go right in front of her!  She is at wit's end!

I asked her about the ferret's health - she said he has a good appetite,
etc.  She did tell me that approx.  2 months ago he 'hit his head' causing
a hematoma behind his ear which required surgery.  She said the problem was
there before the surgery, but has not gotten worse since.  She wants to
keep the ferret, and will try any suggestions that she hasn't already
tried - if nothing works, I will be adding one more ferret to my brood (I
will not adopt out a problem ferret - unless I know the people REAL well,
know they have ferret experience, and are sure they know what they are
getting into.) She sounds very willing to try, she said she loves the
little guy, but he is really trying her patience (sounds like a true
ferret!)

Please email me with any suggestions you may have - heck, I am willing to
try with this guy and give him back to her.

Thanks again

Liane and the Seattle Sea-ferrets----Kit, Powder, AC, Duke, Cinnamon, Nike,
Cyrano, Putz, Honey, Sassafras, Bubbles (away visiting friends who recently
lost a ferret), Snow (being held and loved until the end) and Ringo (across
the bridge waiting for Snow)