From:
Anthony & Barbara Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 11:06:39 -0700
>ferrets with microchips

bill killian wrote...
>Most shelters will not look for the chip so it is probably useless.

I have to disagree.  Maybe it depends on the area of the world you're in,
but in my fairly small town, most veterinary offices and both nearby
shelters have a scanner.  Whenever a stray is brought to the clinic, we scan
it and I know the shelter scans animals too.  The chip is not expensive
(about $25) and I personally think it is well worth it if it gives you peace
of mind.  Especially for ferrets, who are so unlikely to keep their collars
on.  Tattooing is also a good permanent way of identifying your pet.  But I
can't say I know exactly how that works (you can't tattoo your whole address
on your ferrets belly, can you?), so I can't recommend one over the other.
But I do like the idea of microchipping and I think it is gaining
popularity.  Just MHO.

                --Barbara Thomas

[Moderator's note: Note scanners which read ALL the major chips are being
made available to shelters/rescue organizations. BIG]