From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:03:29 -0400
We have had Pivot in our family since she was 8 weeks old and she is
now 6 years old, so that is very unlikely. Sorry about not adding to
that to the latest post.

Yes, ferrets with anal glands vary a lot. Most poof every few weeks
and it dissipates in about 20 minutes.

Piv has had very active poofing for anything exciting multiple times
every single day for the over 6 years we have had her except for the
short times she temporarily impacted in the past. (Ohhhhhh, I want to
play in the tube! Poof! Ohhh, kisses! Poof! Ohhh, hide and seek! Poof!
Ohhh, a treat! Poof! Poof! Poof!) Steve said to mention: Ohhhhhhhhhh,
guests her for dinner. Poof!.

This time, though, with the infection and the impaction she has not
poofed for three weeks except for what was released under anesthesia
during the removal of pus and the expression.

Today there was just the faintest hint sniffing near the danger zone
(Aren't I brave?) of musk. Maybe the impaction might be lessening.

This is one of those situations where there is no clear best approach.
In adults anal gland removal can sometimes tend more toward some
complications, but repeated antibiotic resistant infection that needs
long treatment is also not great. So, we are letting her responses and
non-responses to treatment dictate what happens. (It is something of
a rough time around here right now, with Steve's mother's health
worsening a lot now only a half year since his father's worst half year
and then death, so any mercy small or large is good for us, including
a faint whiff of what may be some dislodging musk.)

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/