From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 06:25:10 -0800
Perhaps I should answer "hotdish" question as I believe she is refering
to me.  A "V" hob is a vasectomized male ferret and the surgery is not
dangerous.  The hob still thinks he is a full hob and my completing the sex
act with female ferrets can take them out of season.  This is a very safe
way to get jills out of season.  However, no one can tell exactly when the
hob will no longer have virile semen stored.  There is no time table to
refer to as nature is very variable in her ways.  My vet. suggested I use
my v hob on my own females until he is proven to be sterile.  That is why
when Bacardi came in season she visited with him.  Bacardi is a beautiful,
proven jill, and I have always been pleased with Dark Star's babies, so an
"accidental" litter is not a problem.  Since we are not "planning" several
litters this year, another one is not a problem.

We have a personal mailing list that keeps everyone informed of what is
happening at Moonsong Ferrets.
http://www.onelist.com/group/moonsongferrets

As a matter of fact we have been having a lot of fun with this upcoming
litter.  You can see DAF Bacardi and Moonsong Dark Star on our web site
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net

Also about some vets. refusing to do the surgery, it is because it is
very, very delicate and they don't have the skill, the time or maybe not
the experience.  Our present vet. had never done a vasectomy on a ferret,
but was willing to try.

Oh and contrary to what "hotdish" is saying, we have never said we are not
breeding ferrets anymore.  We have cut back so that we may have more time
for the rest of our life.  We kept the very very best of the bloodlines and
will continue breeding some very outstanding litters for those who want
companion ferrets.

Thank you all
Judith Moon, owner of Moonsong Ferretry
where ferrets are bred and raised to be companions